Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Have you changed your column to a collapseable or FR? Your original '65 column is solid from the column into the gearbox. You will need to remove the steering wheel, there may be a circlip holding the upper bearing on (was on my '67) then unbolt the gearbox (disconnect pitman arm first) and drop the gearbox out the bottom of the car.

You have to get the car pretty high to clear. I took my column loose so I'd have more flex to get the solid shaft out. The steering shaft goes all the way into the gearbox and isn't removeable from the box (not easily).
Jon

·
Registered
665 Posts
Get the car up on jackstands. You want it pretty high since you'll be down there a while. Loosen the exhaust. Put a jack under the engine and remove the dr side motor mount completely. Remove the bolts from the pass side motor mount. Remove the steering wheel and steering column. Jack up the motor some to gain room to manuever the box. Remove the pitman arm and the tie rod on the dr side. Remove the three bolts holding the steering box to the frame. Be patient; it will eventually come out once you figure out the angle and the twist needed to clear the frame and motor.
It's no fun. That's for sure. Though, I have to admit the second time I did it it was much easier.
Good luck.
JIm

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I removed the box in my '66 through the engine compartment, with the pitman arm still attached. It wasn't that bad. I had to remove the clutch linkage, exhaust header, and valve cover. I had a helper sit in the driver's seat to help guide the shaft (and make sure it didn't gouge the seat). If you don't have a helper you may want to remove the seat. I hear a lot of people say they dropped it out the bottom of the car, but to me the top looked easier...

Good luck,
MrFreeze

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Mr Freeze, props to you too for thinking outside the box.

I did just that. I jacked up my car, tried like hell to drop it down and realized both the motor mount and belly bar would have to come off, and said screw that.

I pulled the header off, which would have had to come out anyhow (long tube)

then I yanked the valve cover off, and the entire box slid right out between the head and shock tower just like cake. This is with the pitman arm still attached

1 - 5 of 5 Posts