Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to buy a late model as a daily driver, but it happens to be in upstate New York. What would i have to do to get this car back into New Jersey? Its way too far to just throw some Jersey plates on it and drive it back...can the DMV issue temporary tags for a private party sale?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I'd give the local DMV a call to see what they'd recommend.

I just recently picked a car up in Florida and drove it back to NC. The local DMV informed me that as long as the car was insured, that it was fine to drive it home on a set of tags from one of our other vehicles. Or that I could put a sign in place of the tag that stated "tag applied for".

The ought to have some way for you to legally drive it home.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I'd give the local DMV a call to see what they'd recommend.

I just recently picked a car up in Florida and drove it back to NC. The local DMV informed me that as long as the car was insured, that it was fine to drive it home on a set of tags from one of our other vehicles. Or that I could put a sign in place of the tag that stated "tag applied for".

They ought to have some way for you to legally drive it home.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Call your DMV, in Nebraska they have a procedure for issuing plates for cars purchased out of state. The draw back is that it takes a couple of weeks to do, so I ended up driving the car back with its out of state plates, the title, a reciept from the seller, and proof of insurance.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Head up to New York State and pay the man..get a signed title then you can register it in New Jersey..take the tags..go back to New York State and drive it home..if it were me..I would rent a trailer and take it home that way..then when you have time you can register it in N.J.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I bought my Saleen out of state (Oregon) from a private party and drove it home to Idaho. What I was told to do is to display the bill of sale in the window (hard to do on a convertible) until getting it home. My insurance covers new cars for 7 days before being officially on my insurance. Once I got it home, I registered and insured it.

Tom

·
Registered
256 Posts
When buying a car (anywhere) from a private party, verify the sellers name and drivers license number against the one marked on the title.

You never know who you might be trying to buy a car from.

Guess how I learned that?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts