Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gotta put that SOB AOD in today. Anyone got any suggestions? I am concerned with getting both the flexplate and the block pins lined up at the same time. I am thinking REALLY long bolts to line it up, and then juggling it a bit to get it perfect. Good? Bad? Indifferent?

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Well, since you have that tranny jack, it should be a lot easier. I did mine in the driveway on jackstands, with a regular floor jack. It took 2 people. What I did was put the convertor in the tranny, Jack the tranny up as far as I could.... then I sild the jack forward, then I spun the convertor until the bolts looked like they would go through the flex plate. Then I put the top 2 bellhousing bolts in, and slowly tightend them with a 3/8 impact, turned way down. I had a friend make sure the convertor bolts were going through the flex plate, and I had to jiggle it a bit to get it on the dowl pins. But after it was lined up, I just tightend it all up, and it went in without a hitch. It was just a pain laying on my back lifting that transmission on the jack with almost No room. Good luck, cause its gonna suck....

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
It's been a while, but I just used two long bolts on either side. Get the tranny up close with the jack, get it to the proper angle and push it as close at it will go. Put in two long bolts and tighten a little on each side. I would tighten each side about a full turn, then check the alignment pins, then wiggle it a little to see if it would slide any further on it's own. Eventually it got close to the pins and darn near slid itself on after that.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I did mine the same way as Boss351 did. It sucked and it took me about 4 hours to get it into the car.

BTW make sure you have a case of 12 pack of beer and pray before you begin putting it in.

David

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I had forgotten you have an AOD. Good luck, buddy, shoving that monster in there with the engine in place. Your "long bolt" trick is probably not going to work with the AOD, as you may not have room to remove them (remember, the bosses for the AOD bolts are thicker than a C4/C6). Also remember that if it doesn't slide on easily, it ain't right!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
We installed the C-4 back in my '68 on Sunday; it wasn't a lot of fun while in progress, but in retrospect it wasn't that difficult and I don't have any new bruises to show for it. I know it's not an AOD, but the principle should be the same. I had the car up absolutely as high as it would go on jack stands and the tranny wouldn't fit on the transmission jack to roll under the car. We tried to put the transmission onto the jack while both were under the car and that didn't work, either, so we just used a floor jack and two people. The torque converter was already installed in the transmission. I kept the drainplug hole for the converter lined up with the hole in the flexplate while we got everything lined up with my finger (you may need to remove the fan first--turn the engine by hand w/a socket on the harmonic balancer bolt until the drainplug hole in the flexplate is down around the bottom and you can stick your finger thru it). When it was close (1" away), I put a 7/16 deepwell socket thru the flexplate and onto the drainbolt of the converter to "hold" things in the right postion, then I held the tailshaft up as high as I could while my husband worked each side of the bellhousing onto the guidepins, one side at a time. Then while he held it in place, I ran up and started all the top bellhousing bolts to finger tight. It required a little manuvering and jerking the transmission around, but it "only" took an hour or so.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
2 people, two hydrolic jacks (one in the front, one inthe back) and a tow strap to hold the tranny from the middle and tighten as we lifted it(like a rope/pulley).

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Be a man, lay on your creeper, put it on your belly, slide under the car and lift it in place.. pudd job... :: ::

·
Registered
477 Posts
BTW make sure you have a case of 12 pack of beer

David
WOW! 288 Beers for a tranny install? ::

*Note to self - never drink with David ;)

·
7,029 Posts
I did mine just like I do everything. By myself with no special tools.

Make sure you turn flexplate and the torque convertor so they are about matched up before you start.

Make darn sure the T/C is all the way in before you start. It should be recessed a good inch from the bellhousing face.

Make sure you've but a quart of ATF in the T/C before you start.

Line it up on a jack. Watch the locating pins on each side. Get it in the right spot, get behind it and shove the jack towards the front of the car as hard as you can.

Get out from under the car and try to get a bolt started. Did you get the longer bolts for the AOD already? You want to get one bolt started on each side mostly to keep the tranny from backing away from the engine as you shove around on it. Once you have 2 bolts started fiddle with the jack height until the tranny and engine are at the same angle and then shove it on the pins.

Once it's started on the pins tighten up the bolts just a hair.

Next get your t/c bolts through the flexplate. You can start those nuts now and you turn the crank over with a 1/2" ratchet.

Once your t/c nuts are started go ahead and get the rest of the bellhousing bolts in. Don't forget the dipstick mounts under one of them.

Snug up everything.

Torque everything.

Did you remember to put sealant on your flexplate bolts?

I took my t/c nuts back off at this point and reinstalled them with loctite. I don't know if that's necessary or not...but that's what I did.

torque everything.

Install the access cover (or whatever that little piece is called).

Put the crossmember in.

And the rest.

Phil

1 - 11 of 11 Posts