Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this has been answered previously (did a search, and didn't find anything on the subject)…

My e-brake no longer engages when I pull it back- no clicks. If I pull back and hold the handle, the brakes do engage, but perhaps the pawl that grabs the gearing on the handle is just shot (the part is 54 years old, after all).

I've ordered a new handle unit and front cable from CJ's, but cannot find any videos or write-ups on replacing the handle unit (plenty on replacing the rear cables, just nothing on the front end). I'm guessing it's just a matter of disconnecting the front portion of the cabling, removing the brackets, and reversing everything on the install, but if anyone's done this and has any tips I'd appreciate them!

I just remember spending an hour trying to figure out how to remove the stupid headlight switch before searching on-line and learning about the little button that has to be depressed, so now I try to anticipate snags! :^)

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
It has been a very long time since I had mine apart, I honestly don't remember what all I did. I found this video that may be helpful even though it is for a 66 F100. I can't remember for sure, but think it is similarly done on our cars.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I just installed the complete hand brake assembly in my 66FB project. It was not difficult for me since I had no interior or carpet, but the steps are the same;
1. unbolt the assembly from under the dash by the handle, it's held on by 2 bolts
2. unbolt the end of the shaft from the firewall.
3. remove the roller from the end of the shaft
4. pull the handle up slowly and you will see a large space in the outside shaft where you can lift the swaged end of the cable out of the inside shaft, then continue to pull up on the handle until the interior shaft goes past the large hole and you should now be able to pull the cable out from the bottom of the shaft.
5. install is the reverse.
With a full interior installed it will be tight working in that area. You may want to remove the drivers seat, it's only 4 nuts. Patience is the key..!

·
Registered
558 Posts
The little pawl that engages the grooves has a hair spring to keep it pressed down. Yours may have broken or be missing, and that may be why there are no clicks. These are available from some online sources, and I believe they were used in many other vehicles with similar parking brakes. The plastic handle can be changed out as well by punching in the knurled drift pin then pulling off the handle. The pin can then be punched all the way through the center rod and a new handle placed with the pin to retain it. One interesting thing that I learned is that the early '65 cars have the pin location in a different spot, so you have to drill a new hole in the plastic handle to have it clocked right when installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips (and for the video)… I have a Scott Drake metal handle that will hopefully be transferring over to the new assembly. I noticed the 2 bolts at the dash and 2 at the firewall (good to know there aren't any hidden bolts to unfasten, however).

Thanks again,
Pete

·
Registered
545 Posts
This got me to thinking. I recently tried to remove my E brake handle assembly to clean and grease and I couldn't figure out how to remove the cable at the start of the sheathing. There was some kind of spring washer that had to be depressed before it could be unclipped from the mounting bracket. Seemed like there was some kind of specialized tool needed. This was on an early 65.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts