Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad has a 1976 Pinto, 140 cid, auto,with 35,000 miles. It's been sitting outside for many years in the tempermental Ohio climate. I was told that some people beef-up and race 4 cylinders. Is this car worth salvaging? Are any other parts usable in older Mustangs.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
street rod guys will take the front suspension steering etc

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If anyones wondering why I posted this, it's because of the interchangability of Granada/Monarch spindles, Lincoln rearends,... I just realized that since the Mustang II was derived from the Pinto, they must be interchangable.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Circle track guys love Pintos for mini stock. Might try advertising at some local dirt tracks.

Jeff

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Are any other parts usable in older Mustangs?

Cigarette lighter, lug nuts, uhhhhh...
Tail light bulbs, yea, tail light bulbs.... and uhhh...
Battery!

Got any gas in it? I've got a siphon hose!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmmmm back half 4 link with 14 inch tires , 60 inch wheelie bars, blown 460 ....
Either that or burn it.

·
Premium Member
3,651 Posts
The older Pintos had different style a-arms. Those are not like the Mustang II's. They are junk if you have those. Save the gas tank for the 4th of July next year, they blow up you know!!!

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Don't know if it's similar, but I love the Pinto r/p unit in the race car...I believe mine is early Pinto (71-72) which uses a flexshaft, as opposed to later units which use a solid shaft and u-joints. Very light and very precise.....I used the whole unit, from the steering wheel down...

The guy I bought my race car from sold it (back in '79) to buy a Pinto Pro Stock car (ex Bob Glidden) ...ran some impressive numbers with it (mid 10's with a 289) before family obligations got the better of him. The Pinto never won him the money that the Mustang did though...

Pinto's, IMO, make either a great bare-bones transportation car or a good race car; little to say about them in between those extremes...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Most of the people around here dirt track them. I raced one in the early 80's. Got it the 13's. There was one from Cali with a 2.3L SVO engine that was in the 10's! Wanna sell it? I need a project....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts