Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my ralley pac apart to clean and check it out. The plastic lens were real dirty around the edges. I used a soft toothbrush and soap to clean. When I was done, the lens is covered with tiny scratches that just give the lens a cloudy look. Is there any way to buff them out or do I simply spend more money and buy a new lens............ I know, its only money.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I believe meguires make a plastic polishing kit, it can be used for anything plastic such as lens, or tallights. You should be able to buy it at your autobody supply jobber.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Not a problem. Look in the phone book for a plastic manufacturer (could be for decor type business signs or?) or a motorcycle accessory shop that sells helmets. Both will sell a commercial grade polish for plastic to remove scratches. I just had to buy a bottle myself from a plastic mfg, cost me $5 for a bottle. Forget the store bought stuff (pep boys, etc) it will work but not as well as the commercial grade stuff.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Try a CD cleaning and polishing kit.You can pick them up from any record store.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Use BRASSO metal polich. It will remove allthose fine scratches that make the plastic look foggy. I found this out by accident when polishing the trim on my taillights.

Don

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had success with a dremel tool, cloth wheels and clay polishes. I bought a used F150 not long ago and just polished the clear gage plastic with 100% satisfaction. I’ve also polished a ralley pac in the past, Mustang gage plastic and an alarm clock that was severally damaged.

If something has deep scratches, they can be wet sanded before polishing. Step up to higher grades of paper until you get to ultra fine stuff. Somewhere in the 1000 to 1500 grit range.

If you use something with power, go easy as too much friction can burn/melt the plastic.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Something that I have had success with is using Meguier's car cleaner/wax on scratched plastic. Works really well. It has such a mild abrasive that it does wonders on plastic. They also make a plastic polish which I have found doesn't seem to work as well on the bigger scratches.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts