Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy Friday everyone! So I have the hood vinyl on my 69 and it has faded throughout the years. No cracks or damage other than the oxidizing or fading issue. Was wondering if anyone have any tricks or tips on how to revive/restore oxidize/faded vinyl?

Appreciate any info.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
"Fantastik!" is a really good cleaner, a clay bar may remove the impurities without being abrasive, and something that is water-based like Formula 2001 or Armor-All may restore some natural oils. I have heard peanut oil is good for putting natural soluble oils back into certain plastics, which vinyl is. I would NOT use anything silicone based.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
That’s paint. Because it’s flat/matte it’s kind of hard to repair once it starts going. I suppose you could mask it off and spray it with plastidip black, if it didn’t turn out to your liking you could just peel it off...

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I thought he meant a vinyl stripe. :duh:

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That’s paint. Because it’s flat/matte it’s kind of hard to repair once it starts going. I suppose you could mask it off and spray it with plastidip black, if it didn’t turn out to your liking you could just peel it off...
Wow! Always thought it was vinyl like the stripes because it doesn't feel like paint.
Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts