Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have just noticed that my seat upholstory is starting to tear! I have 67 comfort weave and were the normal vinyl meets the the weaved section it is starting to crack... you can't see it, unless you push down on the seat on either side of the crack/tear... I was wondering if there was anything that I can do to stop this from getting worse?...

thanks
Jason

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm... thanks any other ideas...

G

·
0 Posts
I think some auto parts stores/wal-mart, or somewhere like that sell vinyl patching material. If you have black seats, this may be ok, otherwise I'm sure it'd be hard to match the color. Just a thought. And, littledog, you might wanna fill out your profile a bit more so we can know who you are.
-Ryan

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya' the seats are black, and it is in a spot where it meets piping, I was thinking maybe some clear nail polish, or something just to stop it from getting worse as you can't see it at all right now...

thanks for the help

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
4,216 Posts
Try to find Vinyl Repair at your local department store. It may not work, but it's worth at try. Chances are that you'll be looking at new seat covers soon. You might also try a search on the internet, I'm sure you'll find plenty of products promising to solve your problem/forums/images/icons/wink.gif.

·
Administrator
19,503 Posts
Oh, that brings back a bad memory. The day of our National MCA show in 1998 in Tucson I parked my car and then happened to lean on the passenger seat and saw a white spot suddenly. Of course, I had a mild case of panic until I realized that if no weight was on the seat the split couldn't be seen. I had checked the seats just a couple of days before and the split wasn't there! So, I took a black magic marker to the seat foam beneath the split and prayed that the judges wouldn't lean on the seat. They didn't and I replaced the upholstery a couple of months later. There really isn't anything you can do once it splits except try and hide it.
/forums/images/icons/frown.gif

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Unfortunately as vinyl wears it starts to thin and crack......you can try to patch it with the liquid vinyl, but as this is a stress area it will keep cracking and get worse with time.

replace them with new seat covers and if your foam is worn out now is the time to do it too.

good luck!!

G

·
0 Posts
I was kidding, I'm afraid father time has caught up wth the vynil and it's becoming brittle and will crack. I donot know how to prevent it from tearing completly, youe berst option is to try and get a repro seat cover. The one that you have has eaged and anny attempt to repair /salvage will be eventualy useless. the main material is already damaged by time. soory.

·
Registered
489 Posts
There's always Crazy Glue or Super Glue. It should prevent it from getting worse, but I'd check the label on the glue first. I can't remember if it will eat away at the foam or not.

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
CA glues (cyo-somthing-or-other) such as super glue, JET glue, and CA (brand) glue will all eat styrafoam. The foam in your seat is foam rubber I believe. It should be able to resist the CA glue, but just try it out with a single drop of glue on the foam pad, and see what happens.

For you technical guys, the crosslinking in the foam rubber should be able to withstand the chemical penetration of the CA glue. Styrafoam on the other hand is a thermoplastic.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Check with your local car lot and see WHO they use for their interior repair jobs. Have that person look into your issue. Perhaps new covers are in your future, perhaps an inexpensive fix is okay too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts