Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a great time driving my car everyday. Taking it out of retirement was the smartest thing I've done in years. And I'm not COMPLETELY done with it either...still haven't got a great stereo or a/c in it; but I've got this weird notion. I keep having these impure, lustful thoughts about 67/68 fastbacks!

Unfortunately, I can't afford to just add to my stable. So if I want a different Mustang, it has to be in place of the one I have. My wife thinks I'm nuts. She tells me I've finally got the 2-tone Pony interior I've always wanted, and the car is running better than it ever has - and she's absolutely right! It's not that I don't like my car. As a matter of fact, I LOVE my car! It's just that out of the several vintage Mustangs I've restored and driven, they've all been 65/66 models.

I guess it's that lure of another project; of being able to choose another brand new color scheme, and getting that new upholstery in the mail - I'm sure nearly everyone reading this can relate! I'm kinda done with this one; and although driving it is great, it's no substitute for restoration. Sure, I couldn't have 2-tone interior in a 67/68, but I COULD have factory in-dash air; I COULD have tilt steering; I COULD have a cool overhead console!

But would I be sorry...just don't know. Has anybody else ever sold their "perfect" car in order to get another, and been sorry? It's not like I want a basket case...I just am thinking about basically exchanging my 66 fastback for a 67/68 in comparable condition. Is that crazy? Am I the only one who has these thoughts?

Somebody slap me!

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
I only think about adding. Unfortunately, the garage is full, I couldn't bear to leave a classic out in the rain, and SWMBO is not about to let me have BOTH sides of the garage! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Steve

·
4,128 Posts
OK here you are http://www.plauder-smilies.de/rough/twak.gif
BTW I prefer the look of the 65-66 fastbacks to the 67-68, I however am partial to the 67 model year. But I do understand your desire to restore yet another Mustang. fd

·
Beach Bum
5,694 Posts
OK Dan, consider yourself slapped hard. I dont know if you are crazy, I always figured why would someone want to sell a nice car that is done or almost done? But the lure to do it over again is powerful.:)

·
Vendor
5,209 Posts
I do the same thing...

I love my coupe and I've got it close to how I want it. I still have wet dreams about a fastback though...

I could never be without a car to blast around in though. I think I'll end up buying a basket case fastback and keeping the coupe whilst the resto happens...

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
But the cure gets expensive and time consumming ... MULTIPLE Mustangs. With 4 in the stable now, I've always got something to work on. Usually it's the '69 sportsroof that we're slowly rebuilding, but there's always the usual maintenance stuff on the '65, '66, and '69 coupes.

Yes, I can relate to your problem. I may actually sell my '66 coupe once the sportsroof COMPLETE restomod is looking good and on the road. The car is affectionately known at our house as Scarey ... because that's what it's like to drive it in it's current state (and it's not a good Scarey, like in too much power, it's the bad scarey like poor brakes and steering *LOL*).

·
Registered
699 Posts
You wouldnt really sell the 66, would you? /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif
I seriously hope that you are just kidding...!!!

If youre not kidding, go and collect your slap from FordDude! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
It's human nature to never be content with what you've got.

Nothing wrong with changing from one car to another - it does happen that people become 'bored', or overfamilar, with a car, and want a change.

But i will tell you, if you sell it and buy a project, there will be days you will almost cry that you cant fire it up and go for a spin /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Can you live without that?

Gary

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I figured I was going to own my '69 Sportsroof until the day I die. But one day I got a wild hair, decided to sell my '69 and my Harley (also which I never thought I'd sell) and got my '66 GT convertible.

I don't really regret it, but for a few hours after the new owner drove MY fastback away, I had a VERY hard time with it!

This will always be one of my favorite pictures:
http://www.bluestang.com/users/timbeam/bothmustangs!.jpg

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
the dayum mustang keeps making me want something new every day! something safer, more modern, "cooler" (as in nifty), etc. Too bad everything i want costs a fortune.

I personally think a remake of the 67-69 fastback with all the modern touches would be really really really cool.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
It's a shame that Lee Iaccoca will never let a true "reproduction" model of the Mustang go through.

As far as you, Mr. Mike with the inline 6, after all the time I've put into helping you out, you better not get another damn cookie cutter engine!!!

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
You need more garages! Wait... I have 5 and SWMBO is not hearing ANY talk about more cars! Never mind.

G

·
0 Posts
to me ,each year/model brings a diffrent feel an mood to the day,ive got 5 of em each one very diffrent
from the other,
I`ll see gone in 60 sec on tv and i gotta feel the need for speed and hop into my 65 shelby and tear around the town,other days i just want to cruze and enjoy the sun w/the top down and not think about shifting
then theres the car shows ,my self i like to bring something nobody see`s that often,
i know what your going thru with thinking of changeing cars as im not happy with just one old car.
no one car can ever do it for me,
someone once said [in reg to missing a deal on a car]`` theres always another one``
Dave

65KGT convert
65GT350 [orig unrestored]
65 A code convert
66 GT T-5 fastback
70 mach 1 351C shaker

1 - 16 of 16 Posts