Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a set of 351C-4V headers for my 73 vert from Ford Powertrain Applications (FPA). Supposedly their headers fit better and have more ground clearance than Hooker Comps (which are the other headers I am considering). Any opinions?

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,584 Posts
I have the Hooker Super Comps and ground clarance is a problem. I have seen a set of the FPA's installed on a 68 Shelby 500 and they fit beautifully, have lots of ground clearance, and according to the guy who installed them, were relatively easy to get in there. I vote for the FPAs

·
Registered
154 Posts
I put them on my '68 390 'vert when I was doing my engine rebuild. FPA says that you can install the headers with them already on the engine. It was not possible for me, so I put them in the engine bay and bolted them on after I lowered the engine down to within a few inches of the motor mounts. For the 390, I think it would be darn near impossible to get them bolted up with the engine already in the car. Putting the starter on with the headers installed is a bear b/c the headers hug the block fairly closely. It just takes patience though.

That said, I am very happy with them. I had to use the lowering bracket for the steering, but I have no ground clearance problems with the headers.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I just bought some for my 351C 2V... haven't got the engine back from the builder yet, so I haven't installed them, but they look awesome. They use a one-piece flange and look like they should have good ground clearance. Don't forget to order the drop bracket if you have power steering...

Doug

·
Registered
792 Posts
I have a set on the Torino in the sigpic. They replaced a set of Super Comps. The Hookers had about 2 to 3 inches of clearance and always leaked badly, I went with his Shorties for a 429 CJ, so ground clearance greatly improved. They are very well put together and sealed right up with no problems. I would buy a set of headers from him with no hesitation.

·
Registered
792 Posts
If you want to take a look at the ones on my Torino, let me know. I'll be around all weekend.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Yep! 390 Tri-Y's with the ceramic coating. I've only trial fit them, but they fit fantastic! You can get a glimpse at them on my web page.
www.longbros.com/richjr
Stan said they'd fit , even with my Mustang II front suspension.... and they sure do!

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
I have FPA 351c 4v headers on my cleveland in my 65.
They provide very nice ground clearance (alot more than the old tubular automotives) on my lowered car.

http://www.dodgestang.com/images/exhaust8.jpg

·
Premium Member
773 Posts

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I run Supercomps on my 427 and they fit good but are a b**** to get together. I never did a 351C with FPA's but in a 390 stang and a 428 Cyclone, we bolted them to the motor and swung it in. They fit perfect in both cases.

Make no mistankes, they wont make the horsepower at 7000 rpm the Hookers will, but the are beautiful and should make more low end (what a C needs IMO)

Also the owner was a great dude to talk to, explained why he does things and seems real sharp. I would not hesititate, and I wont hesitate, to buy them again

·
Registered
285 Posts
I installed a set of Tri-ys on the 289 in my '66 this spring. Fit was great and even cleared the clutch z-bar. I highly recommend FPA

1 - 12 of 12 Posts