Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stanger project. Dont get me wrong, I luv my stangs and wouldnt trade them for anything in the world, but I am just burned out. Am I alone here or has this happened to mostly everyone at one time or another. Unfortunately, I have had to buy fixer uppers and work on them over a period of time too get them in the condition that is acceptable in my eyes. Maybe someday, I will be able too afford to buy one done, but not likely, I have four children. Well, Ive decided too walk away from my stangs for a month and then hit it running when I feel fired up again.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I went about 6 months where I didn't really care about my car. It's my daily and I probably washed it about 4 times during that peroiod and it got a few dings from things falling on it in the garage. A bunch of little things were going wrong and I was just annoyed with it and didn't want to spend time on it.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
We all get the same way I'm sure ,,I took several months off of my Boss car when doing it ,,But when you do get back at it big problems seem a little smaller and things become fun again,,Don't worry you are normal ,,or at least as normal as us HEHEHE

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I feel your pain! I suppose that's why I have several hobbies. There are times I spent many more hours on the Fender Forum (guitars), and sometimes it's the Hobby Heaven Forum (models). For the moment though, I'm back into the Mustang thing. Right now, I'm enjoying the restomod ideas I come up with and trying to make them work. But in a few months, the Mustang will simply be my transporation, and I'll be "restomoding" my Telecaster! Then sure 'nuff, I'll run out of money altogether, and decide to build a few models of the Mustangs I can NEVER afford to actually own. Then before you know it, I will have come full-circle; and I'm trying to find that leak or rattle in the fastback and enjoying every minute of it!

Take a few weeks and walk away. But be sure to read the magazines and attend shows. You'll come back...

G

·
0 Posts
My enthusiasm and wallet run dry from time to time. Mine is my daily driver so I need to keep it working, (it's pretty reliable), but every once in awhile I get on a kick and upgrade it a notch or two. I just got into one of those things where I was going to change the oil, but someone had borrowed my pan and not returned it so I called the wife to pic one up while she was out. In the meantime I decided to replace my rusted battery tray that I had bought a replacement for. Well, after taking off bumper mount bolts and finally getting it off, it was all rusted underneath so I decided to clean and repaint that side of the engine compartment. Of course, now I had to do the other side too and then replace all the wire holders, repaint the valve covers and aircleaner, the fan, pulleys, etc. Getting a touch burned out, but I had been meaning to do it for a long time. I know what you mean, but it's fun to see people smile when you drive your car around town. Hang in there.

G

·
0 Posts
I dont own a mustang, but do want one rather badly, thusly my envolvement here. Needless to say, I got burned out with mustangs as a whole for a while I wanted nothing to do with them.A few car shows later, and the fire was relit

G

·
0 Posts
MAN... I know exactly what you're feeling. No car I have comes close to my seeing it as acceptable. After this weekend I doubt I'll even try. Had a dismal day racing, tired of everyone wanting to know who painted my unrestored car & after 2 hours this morning I gave up on starting my Spoiler. I feel your pain brother! I'd sell 'em all if I could get someone interested! Take a break, go for a nice long drive with your significant other... things will look better in a little while! I say this because I can't give up hope... hope you don't.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now that I think about it, its probally very healthy too walk away once and awhile. Well, I am releaved that I am not the only one.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I am burned out right now. I haven't worked on my mustang for a couple of months now I think, and one side of the floor is cut out so I can replace the pan. I try to work on it but I get bored and overwhelmed after 5 minutes. It's been so long since I've driven it that I've forgotten what it's like to drive around in it.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Sure do, especially when its 110 outside. Its really hard to get motivated and get out there and clean that engine bay that I've been putting off for two weeks now.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I feel your pain also. It's going to be a lonnngggg time on mine before its road ready. I am forced to take a four month break from it in the spring because of my job. I haven't made any real progress on it since taking out of storage this summer because we are busy and I'm trying to decide where to re-start the project. Your normal. I get burnt out at work often so you are not alone.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
If you focus and push yourself too much that happens. Keep it a hobby, try to do a good job but don't set a schedule. There will be a dozen times you'll think about selling it also. The kids are much more important anyway, as much as I love mustangs my kids are my life.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I promised myself over the winter that I would get the car painted over the summer. I started stripping the car until it got too hot outside (90's and humid in Wisconsin). I took a three week break until I went to Great Lakes Dragaway last weekend. That was the real kick in the ass I needed to get remotivated. I finally finished stripping the car over the past four-day weekend. Again, it was hot and humid and a miserable job, but well worth it.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
WOW it is nice to know i am not alone!!!!

this post lifted my spirit
Daniel

·
Beach Bum
5,694 Posts
Yes from time to time I get tired of dealing with it & take a couple days or a couple weeks away from it, but it usually doesnt last to long. Mostly I take the time off from my 2 cars is in the summer time when it is hazy, hot & humid. It will pass & you will be back working on the car again. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
977 Posts
As an artist, mechanic and designer I keep myself from getting burned out. Do something different every day. Don't work on the car all the time even though you would like to. You'll notice that your momentum is built up when you go back to it and your mind will be clear. It took one friend of mine and I three days to totally disassemble my 65 in five days. As a single guy, it is easier to do what I want to do. I am quite a jack-of-all-trades; however, when it comes to sewing its only buttons. J Give yourself a goal but don’t make your goals exclusive to the car. Include at least two projects if not more. Eat right and exercise. Take the dog for a walk. That clears my mind up quite a bit. Once I get going on something look out. I’ll work on it until it is done. Get plenty of rest too.
Brent

·
Registered
655 Posts
I know what you mean. It took me over 5 years to finish my first fixer upper!! I'll never do it again. I quickly realized that I didn't have the time or money to do complete restorations. The last two cars that I bought were clean daily drivers. That way I can continue to drive them, while doing small upgrades here and there. Along the way, it's very healthy to take breaks.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I think it's a normal cyclic thing. I haven't worked on a Mustang for about a year now and haven't driven any since April of this year. There's a reason I call my red fastback a garage shelf: http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/3573/streeter2.html

I haven't touched it for at least three years.

Right now I'm hot into Fairmonts (the First FOX chassis Ford!) The last time I stopped Mustanging I bought a '69 Firebird Convert. Fun car but I still came back to the Vintage 'Stang.

Regards,

Dean t

1 - 19 of 19 Posts