Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a line on a 64 1/2 convertible that the guy says is a 64 1/2 "e" code 220 hp motor. I ran the vin he gave me but couldn't get it to work.

Anyone hear of "e" coders?

Thanks.

J. Boggs

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
No such thing. It's probably a C code

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
I think U, D, F and K were about all there was for 64.5, unless there was a transition model (like a C-coder with a generator and other 64.5 indicators). Resto gurus here could likely elaborate. I own a D-coder.

·
Premium Member
1965 Coupe
2,751 Posts
Try "D", 225hp, 4v, 289. Only used in early 65. That's what my first one was.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Never heard of that one John. You'll have to read the shock tower VIN yourself or see a picture. IIRC, the C code 65's had 200 hp, with the A-coders showing 225. My D-code 64.5 supposedly had 210 hp.

Ask the owner about other indicators for a 64.5. Don't lead him. He might just have a C-code 65 and is reading the VIN wrong. In any event, if it's a nice 'vert, jump on it if the price is right.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
The E is near the D on the keyboard. Typo maybe? Also F looks alot like E. Misreading maybe?

The consecutive number (and plant) will get the approximate build date, That's another way to narrow it down to a year.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Maybe he said D but it sounded like E? Or maybe the VIN on the car was obscured so that the F looked like an E? I have a '65 Mustang with a title listing it as a G code but I'm pretty they didn't make a '65 with a Boss 302 engine! *G* The VIN looks like a C to me but some time in the car's past the C suffered a nick.

Regards,

Dean T

1 - 7 of 7 Posts