Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want to have a rev limiter on the new motor for my 67 GT350. I plan on using the original dual-point distributor which currently has a Pertronix unit in it. The Pertronix has worked very well - no spark problems that I can tell. So I thought about buying one of the aftermarket standalone rev limiters. Anybody ever used one?

I know that Crane's points replacement unit has a built-in rev limiter but it says that it is for a single-point distributor. I also could go with an MSD or equivalent but that starts running into some bucks (not to mention the external box).

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
While this response is not exactly on point, I can say that I've installed the Crane XR-i and it works well.

John Harvey

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I have been happy with my Mallory rev-limiter.
Its built into my Hy-Fire box and is adjustable in increments of 100.
Should the motor accidently overrev it cuts out spark to random cylinders to limit the RPM.

·
Registered
528 Posts
OK, I have to ask this one. I also have the Crane XR-i,and it runs well, but where do you guys establish the red line. I hear all the references (hype) on TV about the high-reving 289. What is a realistic limit before you damage your engine. I currently have the rev limit set a 6000 RPM. Sorry to highjack your post, but it somewhat related.

Rich

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
What are your engine's internal components like? (forged, cast, balnced, etc.) How old (miles) is the rebuild? And how do you drive it - put-putting in overdrive, or 1/4 mile passes?

A 289 will "safely" rev higher than a 302, which in turn will do better than a 331, than a 347. GIVEN the same internals!

I would guess knowing nothing else about your car except it is 289, that 5,500 to 6,000 would be safe - if it is an occansionally used limit. If you often redline it, then drop it lower.

John Harvey

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I've got the Pertronix stand-alone rev limiter sitting on my workbench waiting for me to install it. I think it's a fairly new product from them. I also use Pertronix ignition and it has been flawless to as high as I care to rev the engine (or a little higher...thus the reason for the rev limiter).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts