Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The PO had historic plates which can be registered for 10 years rather than the usual 1. The insurance is dirt cheap for cars registered as historic with the Sec'y of State. Around $150 per year with Hagerty. The Hagerty rep cautioned me against doing this as he says I could get a ticket if I drive the car in something other than a parade. What's up with that?
jim

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a set of historic pates, but I will probably not register them because of the same thing you heard about from your insurance company. LIMITED MILES. mainly parades and shows. Yeah its nice to have a one time registeration fee and low insurance, but for everyday driving and possibly just weekend driving it is not legal. I'm sure if you call the Sec'y of State, they can give you all the information about historic plates. good luck

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hagerty is correct about the use of "historic " plates in Michigan. Technically, you can only use the vehicle for parades, specific club functions and for mechanical testing. To use it beyond this is called "misuse of plate application" and you can be given a ticket. However, the last part (mechanical testing) gives the opportunity to drive your ride outside of parades and social functions. So, be sure to mechanically test your car often!

As far as "historic" plates go, you can get "year of manufacture" plates for $35 and they are good for as long as you own the car. However, there is a down-side to this. I have them on my Mustang and my Firebird. and I am constantly getting stopped for "invalid" plates. It seems that the State license people do not have a master plate listing for the police to check to determine if plates are valid "historical." The registration clearly states that they are valid but it is a hassle I could do without.

Hope this helps

Tom

1 - 3 of 3 Posts