Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently saw the Maaco advertisement about the $299.99 Ambassador paint job with the 2001 Ragoon GT. Has anybody tried that service yet? I would like to know how good that paint job actually is. THANKS!!

·
Registered
367 Posts
As far as I know its ok but its not gonna last. They don't do much prep, they just spray the paint right on. We had our suburban repainted and the paint looked ok for about 2 years but then it went to pure crap. I guess if you don't mind getting it redone every couple of years then your ok.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
My Ranchero has a Maaco paint job done by the PO. I've ownred it for 2 years, it sits outside in the elements and it still looks pretty darn good. Of course, they didn't paint door jambs, etc. and they don't do any repairs that you don't ask and pay for. I have some spots where rust is coming through that should have been repaired before painting, but that really is the only problem. BTW, the color is a real nice Wimbledon white.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
A buddy of mine had one painted by them and they painted over the dirt the car had picked up on the drive over...

·
Registered
900 Posts
For $299, don't expect to get more than you pay for. If a short-lived spray job is what meets your need, they'll probably do a decent job, but don't expect any top coat to mask problem areas or poor preparation. If the MAACO near you does good work and you want something nicer than the el cheapo job, do the prep yourself or pay someone to do it and then ask them to spray it with their best materials. That's going to cost more, but ask yourself how often you want to mess with having it repainted.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I would do the prep work myself like I plan on doing with my own 65 coupe. I might pay a little more for a clear coat or two. You never know when that stone is going to pop up and make a $3000 paint job look like a $299.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, just this week. So while I can't speak to its long term prospects, my guess is that in 2 years it will look like a 2 year old $300 paint job.

However, I bought a 68 coupe that had already been restored mechanically, down to the exhaust, from a guy who ran out of money before the interior and paint. So, in order to stay motivated when I drag myself to the garage for another session of "it's just redecorating" interior prep and install, I went for the cheapo special. Now I look in the garage and think, I can't wait to get out there and get the inside of that car nice enough to ride in!

For me, it was well worth it, although I realize that a new paint job every three years is my fate. SWMBO, who is good at math, pointed out that if I get $300 of paint plus $200 of prep every 3 years, I can enjoy that freshly painted feeling 5 times for the same $$$ as the bid I got on the whole deal at the specialty Mustang restorer locally.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
You cannot expect any prep and low quality materials. I copied this on the cost PAINT for quality materials:
1 Gallon Red Metallic Sikkens Autobase $335.99
1 Gallon High Solid HS Clear II $174.00
.5 Gallon High Build Primer $115.34
2 quarts of Hardener for the Clear $95.00

Of course you need 1 gallon Autobase reducer for the Autobase color.
Autocryl reducer for the Primer and Clear, Primer hardener, Primer sealer
etc...

By the time I got out of there I spent with taxes over $1000.00.

The good stuff costs!!!

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
A decent paint job with reasonable prep and good quality primer and paint will run $1,200 to $2,000 plus. Figure what you are going to get for $299. Getting the cheap stuff off later on to do it right is a lot of work. I had to dig thru about 4 coats of Earl Scheib and spray can stuff to get to bare metal and start over. Like removing bubble gum. All done by POs on the cheap. I don't think it is worth doing it on the cheap. A good job, properly cared for can last for 20 plus years. Figure the economics. Good Luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My girlfriend's ex was a manager of a Maaco once. He had new hires painting on their first day with no prior experience... something to think about.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I agree, you get what you pay for. If you don't have the 1-3k to shell out, the $299 will look fine. If you intend to strip the paint in three years and do a nice job, it will suck (plain and simple!)! I am currently taking off two coats of a nice ear//maaco green paint with a razor blade and LOTS of sanding discs and not to mention some of their "body work" the PO had done...man what a PITA, but better than it being more rusty than she is now :O

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I had a car done there and it looked graet when it was done. It was just to be a quick and dirty job so I could sell the car, but it really looked good. I was impressed! But Isaw the car last weekend and the paint is peeling in quite a few places and doesn't look so hot anymore, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I had the 499 job last year because of the 4 year warrenty. I havehad the car reapinted already once.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They painted my truck two and a half years ago and it still looks as good as the day I picked it up (like a $299 paint job), although I did pay quite a bit extra to have all the peeling paint stripped off beforehand. I'm sure quality ranges from store to store so buyer beware.
Micah

·
Registered
371 Posts
I had my Pick up painted by the $199 special.
I had it about 3 years, looked good the whole time.
I see it once in a while, still looks ok.
MAACO also offers a better paint job, I had them look at my 67, and they said that for $2,190. they would paint the car color of choice, to include door jams, trunk, hood. They also explained that they would remove as many thing as possible to make it better (headlight buckets, all trim and lettering, weatherstripping...) They also said that they would strip the paint, wet sand...
I don't know, maybe they do have a good painter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts