Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
When I restored my 66 vert. 6 cyl, I had the same problem. If I were you I would recheck the wiring at the starter solenoid. You may also have a defective starter switch.

·
Registered
71 Mach1, Mcode, AOD, 4 wheel discs, Ram air, Cragars in Vermilion Fire paint.
967 Posts
Buddy, the circuit isn't that complex that you can't figure it out with a process of eliminiation.

Disconnect your starter motor, and listen for when the relay "clicks" in. I'd say that's where your problem is.

Or if it's hard to tell, leave the ignition in the on position, and manually pull a wire out of your solenoid and touch it again. It shouldn't be making any clicks at all.

Or, with the starter motor disconnected, does the starter solenoid "click" in when you crank the key. It can only be one or the other.

Likewise, Use a cheap multimeter to check for 0hms across the fat contacts. It'll either go "0" when the ignition is on (as you're explaining it is) or when you crank the key.

By the sound of your problem, it sounds like the solenoid is "on" when the ignition is on. If so, something is giving it power? You should only ever have 2 wires to the solenoid.

You may have connected an ignition on wire to feed the solenoid instead of a crank only live wire.

A $5 multimeter will do wonders for your frustration!
cheers, goodluck and let me know what it was.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
I think you put the small diameter starter wire onto the other small post, didn't you?
if so, that is wrong. put the starter wire(small diameter) onto the other large(5/16) stud closest to the shock tower

1 - 4 of 4 Posts