Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey does anyone have this sandblaster? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=34202 i was thinking about getting it to do my engine compartment.
and if i get it what type of media should i get. obviously $20 a box for glass bead or aluminum oxide would get real expensive real fast so is there something i can get at home depot or something in a 50 pound bag?

·
Registered
261 Posts
My Dad has one and we have used it to blast many small parts and some bigger stuff like 6 Model A wire wheels and a number of 24" Semi-Truck wheels. We use the bagged sand that you can buy at the lumber yard. I would think that it would work fine for your engine compartment, just maybe a little slow. If you are buying one, be sure to get a couple extra ceramic nozzles. Also don't regulate the flow with the ball valve at the exit. Use the one the sand comes thru. If you close down the ball valve near the exit, the sand will eat thru it in a hurry!

Brian

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've got one and haven't had much luck using it so far. I tried silica sand and it clogs up very easy. I'll try something different next time and see how it goes, unless i sell it first.
My web page

·
Registered
49 Posts
I actually bought one yesterday. I got it put together last night, loaded it up with "blasting sand" from home depot (~$3.80/50lb) and had no luck. I clogged the line every time. From what I have read, it is pretty sensitive to moisture, and it was just a tad humid in Greenville last night (2" of rain in 2 hours). I remember reading a post a while back where someone mentioned that it worked a lot better after he figured out the "throttling valve", which makes sense.

Could someone please post any tips or tricks? What I was doing was:

1. Pressurize the tank.
2. Open the nozzle valve.
3. Open the throttling valve.
4. Slowly start opening the sand supply valve.

Before I opened the sand supply valve, the nozzle didn't seem like it had very good pressure. Then, after I opened the sand, the hose would sputter a little and clog up. After it would clog, I'd have to take the whole hose loose and pour the sand out. I never noticed any clumps.

Urggh.

I'm using a 5.5 hp 30 gal compressor.

Tonight I'll try again.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I’ve got the same unit but was never able to use it with my Home Depot Special compressor. I borrowed a 50 cfm, diesel driven trailer mounted ‘screamer’ and had no problem blasting the Stang top to bottom and most of loose parts over a weekend. I went through 30 bags of sand and that included ‘recovering’ a lot from the tarp I spread under the car before I started!

You’re on the right track with the throttle valve but as stated earlier, you'll gut the valve before you’re though. Toward the end of my weekend, everything but the tank was leaking or bypassed!

·
Registered
151 Posts
PS – just a word on safety and living to a ripe ol’ age! After the first hour or so of blasting, I took a potty break and happened to look in the mirror. Man what a mess – black s$*t around my paper respirator, up my nostrils – ya get the picture? Now remember, that sand generally has silica in it and the paint, primer, undercoating and grease isn’t much better!

My solution was to create positive air pressure under my sand blast hood by using the oil-less compressor. By taping the air hose to the back of the hood headband and flowing a little air up and over my head I stayed a lot cooler and had no further issues with the dust. Just my thoughts . . . ::

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have one and have had pretty good luck using the smallest grit Silica sand I could find. I use the non-oiled side of my air supply and keep the pressure around 100# while using it. It uses quite a bit and makes a fairly big mess. One other thing, the Silica is the same as Silica produced during overburden drilling in mining operations and you would be wise to wear a mask because of Silicosis. I would like to try walnut shell media but nobody sells it around here.

·
Registered
562 Posts
1. Order extra ceramic nozzles.
2. Go to Home Depot and buy some extra brass ball valves, you'll need them.
3. Only use FINE silica sand.
4. Get an old window screen and filter all sand through the screen and into the funnel. (You'll get debris in every factory sealed bag.)
5. Don't skip steps #3 and #4 or you'll be sorry!

Good Luck! ::

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the advice everyone.
using paint stipper instead is sounding better and better. ::

1 - 9 of 9 Posts