Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in your project and would like to see some photos if you have a true resto-ROD vintage stang. You know....the kind with a fuel injected late model engine, AOD tranny, Power everything, A/C, leather seats, and all the other modern conveniences wrapped in a package that looks almost stock when parked.

I want to see some examples of what you guys are doing including cool dash modifications and instrumentation ideas and custom tasteful interior modifications.

Thanks for indulging my curiosity!

Troy

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Sorry Kent, you can't play this time. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif You're just a "Nu-Tech" restomod. Sounds like he's looking for a "Max Restomod". I'm just a lowly "Shelby restomod", with a little bit a "Nu-tech" mixed in.........../forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Just kidding - restomod can be many different things...........

[color:red]
A Guide to Mustang Restomod

Mild Restomod -- Affordable, bolt-on modifications that are easily reversible. Good for the enthusiast on a budget. Subtle and tasteful. Keeps with the original lines of the vehicle.

Shelby Restomod -- Tasteful modifications that employ features common to Shelby Mustangs, including wheels, fiberglass bolt-ons, GT350 or GT500 stripes, taillights, interior appointments, suspension upgrades, quarter-windows, and more.

Street Trans-Am -- The thrill of Trans-Am or NASCAR for the street. We’re talking graphics, wide profile, huge tires that fill the wheelwells, stiff suspension, side exit exhausts, spoilers, and anything else you dare bolt onto your Street Trans-Am.

Road Race -- Like Street Trans-Am, this one brings the racetrack to the street with one exception--it’s high-tech, with electronic fuel injection, suspension trickery not seen on most restomods, big skins, wild and crazy graphics, deep bucket seats, impressive instrumentation, and more.

Day 2 Restomod -- Just groovin’ in the 1960s with this one. Cragar SS mags, Cal Custom air cleaner and valve covers, and crackly glass packs. We’re talking period pieces that relive the 1960s.

Drag Restomod -- Drag Race Restomod is a blast to the past when big tires aft and dinky tires fore made for an impressive profile in those downtown store windows.

Nu-Tech Restomod -- When this one grows up, it wants to be a Max Restomod. Electronic fuel injection, overdrive, larger rubber (16 inches and up), throaty Flowmasters, progressive rate springs, sway bars fore and aft.

Max Restomod -- Throw away the books and forget everything you’ve ever been taught because Max Restomod is a clean sheet of paper. Fit it with a 4.6L DOHC engine, six-speed, Currie 9-inch, four-wheel Baer disc brakes, 18x9-inch wheels, independent rear suspension, 500-amp sound system, and Recaro buckets. Then slap on 25 coats of Electric Red with 10 coats of clear.
</font color=red>

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I don't know if mine qualifies as RestoMod because it seems to be missing everything, hehe. The poor coupe was all messed up when I started on it a year ago. Rusted floor pans, heavy rear quarter damage, smashed front fenders.....on and on and on. I put the scoop on because the hood needed lots of help so the scoop covered a couple dents! Just finished installing the subframe connectors. I have a 302 with 351W heads waiting to go in after a mild rebuild. Stock 3spd toploader from a 68. Fairly conventional from the engine and drivetrain. GT exhaust of course will be installed also. Granada disk brakes round out the stopping power on the front end. I like the slotted mags because they look good for the 60's, 70's period and they need restored too.

Eventually, I'll install a 66 dash in it. I also want to put a pony seat interior in it and am leaning towards palamino tan for the seats and carpeting. Headliner and dash will be black. Interior paint will be poppy red you see jamb painted.

The car is much easier to fix up as a restomod than as original because of the freedom to be creative and not be limited to concourse. The car will be every bit brand new as all components are either new or rebuilt.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
The car in your vision sits on display at Dallas Mustang. My restomod vision was to restore my car visually to its showroom condition but to give it a more aggressive stance as it might have been seen on the streets in the late 1960's. The driveline and suspension are heavily modified. Like many restomod cars, its a work in progress!

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kent,

That's a really great rod you got there. What I'm looking for is the same stock appearance your car has, but more of a modern drivetrain, built for daily driving street use. No track for me, thanks.

I wonder how many examples there are of what I'm looking for? Just a nice 65/66 convertible with the conveniences and driveability of a late model one.

By the way Kent, our cars are very similar (from a stock perspective). Mine has the same color and trim codes, but I couldn't stand the interior, so I switched it to all white (yea, I know that's a 65 color but I like it!) I still have all the green/white stuff should I ever find a use for it. Don't ever plan on selling anyway.

Troy

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gt350clone,

What an awesome example. Great job on that car. Did you check into FI, or did you always want to go with the carbeurated route?

I like your wheels. How are they different from the American Racing Torque Thrust Ds?

Troy

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Hey, I am getting there. 5.0 w/AOD, front disc's. still have to add rear sway bar, A/C, PW. Plan on changing the orginal seats to something safer and more comfortable.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
I'm thinking my car qualifies as a new category - "Rusto-mod" /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Dickson

G

·
0 Posts
I believe I have the mods you are looking for. I am unsure how to post pictures but my car has the following:
1966 Canary Yellow Coupe
Late model (93) style EFI 302
Lentech AOD Transmission
9" ford rearend
4 Wheel disc brakes (Front Wilwood, rear Explorer)

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Troy -
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

What an awesome example. Great job on that car. Did you check into FI, or did you always want to go with the carbeurated route?

I like your wheels. How are they different from the American Racing Torque Thrust Ds?

<hr></blockquote>Aw, gee, thanks! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

I've considered EFI but the carb route is simple and effective - no need for (real or perceived) extra complications! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif The ONLY EFI setup that has tempted me thus far is the new Edelbrock setup, since I can still "dress out" the engine compartment similar to a vintage carb'd car...

The biggest difference with the Vintage 45's is that they come in a 16x8 size, that wasn't available in the TTD's.

Be sure to follow along on the board - there are MANY other examples of nice restomods that hang out here, but haven't responded to this thread (check out MYTOYS's car, for example). /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 16 of 16 Posts