Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a brand new master cylinder to replace an old surface rusted unit that I can't get to stop leaking. I don't mind the looks of the raw cast iron, but I know it will rust in due time. I thought about coating it in the cast iron finish spray paint before installation, but wonder if it will peel off if I get any drips of brake fluid on it. If you have done this, did the finish last? I know powdercoating would be better, but I'm on a time crunch and need to install by the weekend.

·
Dimples
3,763 Posts
Considering that paint and brake fluid do not get along, I ended up spraying some clear coat on mine. I'm sure the brake fluid attacks it the same way it does paint, but it's easy to touch up and has held up well.

·
Registered
34,326 Posts
A 2-part epoxy or cyanoacrylate should resist glycol-based brake fluids. One parts, spray bombs, Rustoleum, etc., will peel off like a 2-day old sunburn. Another option would be Calyx manifold coating, available at Eastwood & Amazon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses.... the Eastwood grey, clear or ceramic black will be my choice.. now to decide..

·
Registered
737 Posts
I’ve used caliper paint before and brake fluid peeled it right off. In fact I haven’t found a coating that will hold up to brake fluid yet. I gave up trying to coat master cylinders and now just use paper towels soaked in motor oil to wipe over it every so often to keep the surface rust at bay.

I don’t know how powder coating holds up to brake fluid, but keep in mind that powder coating requires the part to be baked so you’ll have to remove the rubber internals and reinstall them after the coating is applied.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I've had success with a rag with a tiny amount of silicone grease on - making sure not to get any grease onto the M/C lid seal so as to prevent fluid contamination.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
66 mc was painted with coat coat over 6 years ago. Still looks good. Steel wooled the brake lines and clear coated them at the same time and they also look fine. I flush the complete system every couple of years, just don’t spill the fluid.

72 mc was disassembled and powder coated, but does not look any better than the rattle can cleared 66 piece.

either should fine for you.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I use Ospho on my cast parts. Its not correct looking but looks way better than rust and is easy to maintain.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts