Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I autocross only, no track days, and my factory seat is just not cutting it. Everybody at events digs the retro vibe of the car including myself so I'm trying to find a seat that is in keeping with the theme, but will still hold my butt in place. If it's not made in China all the better. Looked long and hard at TMI and nothing they offer really appeals to me. So I'm looking at the Cobra CS seat that has the classic look with a head rest and provisions for a 4 point harness. I have been in contact with both Cobra in the UK and there US importer and they have a container heading to the US shortly and if I can get them a sample of my Palomino interior they should be able to get the seats made and in the container, saving me some of the shipping cost and time. So anybody using them in anything, even if it's not a Mustang?

·
Registered
308 Posts
I’ve never used those seats, but have you been in the Procar Rally seats? I think they hold great and have a perfect vintage look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve never used those seats, but have you been in the Procar Rally seats? I think they hold great and have a perfect vintage look.
I've never sat Procar seats good to know that they hold well! These Cobra seats are for skinny people with the center section being only 13" wide. I have a 33" waist and I think even I'll be snug! With no tracks provided and no tilt feature comprises and adjustments will have to be made.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Sounds like we are about the same size and they feel pretty snug to me. I don’t know if you drive your car on the street as well, but these ones include sliders and reclining. Good luck!

P.s. I don’t work for Procar :)

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And then I found THIS website! Drool!

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like we are about the same size and they feel pretty snug to me. I don’t know if you drive your car on the street as well, but these ones include sliders and reclining. Good luck!

P.s. I don’t work for Procar :)

Not doing black and I think that's all Procar does.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Oh yeah, GTS classics has amazing seats! Out of my bum usher, but gorgeous!

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yeah, GTS classics has amazing seats! Out of my bum usher, but gorgeous!
Out of my price range, but sadly that doesn't always stop me. Have you seen any up close?

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So after many conversations on this side of the pond and the other I have determined that I can save well over a thousand dollars if I change my interior color from Palomino to black. I guess old Henry was right about any color you want!

Reactions: Huntingky

·
Registered
308 Posts
Interesting! It never occurred to me that color might affect price on the interior...

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Black racing seats are standard off the shelf stuff. Matching anything else is custom. I've been talking with GTS classics and it approaches $3000 for a pair pretty quickly. Local upholstery shops start at $600 a seat to recover! If I were able to find a pair of older BMW or similar seats they make pre sewn replacement covers in many colors that are reasonably priced. Sadly, old were I live is 2012.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My thirtyish shades of blue interior from being too cheap for custom stuff agrees with your black interior sentiments

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After the holidays I was able to get responses from Cobra through the US distributer. I would have to buy 3 yards of the TMI Palomino through NPD $325 to my door and then send it as a sample valued $10 or less to avoid VAT to England for Cobra to use on the seats. Approaching 2G! I'm bummed! This has gone from a cool thing to completely stupid, even by my low standards. I have friends of friends in the SCCA searching Indiana and lower Michigan if there is an upholstery shop that could recover the standard $450 Cobra seats in Palomino at a reasonable price. I could give in and go black interior but that would literally burn my buns more than the lighter Palomino at every autocross event.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's a race car. I went with the standard black Cobra CS seats $450 each to my door. They are super light and fit my 33" waist super tight. They are race seats for sure and when the 170 lbs that I am sits in them I'm not going anywhere and I can feel the plastic cups for the seat belt / 4 point harness on my hips. I think they will be perfect for me autocrossing but will definitely limit a few of the people I have let drive my car and I'll have less passengers for sure. I'm OK with that. The seat sliders won't be in for another week or so but they supposedly have 9"+ travel vs the Mustangs 4 1/2" so that should make it theoretically possible for skinny people to get in the back seat since the seats don't recline. Not sure if the interior is going black or the seats are going Palomino when all is said and done?

Reactions: QuietChris

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got one of the Cobra seats in today and other than the color I'm really happy with the seats and tracks. The Cobra sliders have over 9 inches of travel compared to the 4 1/2 inches of the factory seats. I gained an inch of helmet room, and with the seats all the way back I can get in OK with the steering wheel in place. With the seat full forward there is decent access to the rear seat.

My local SCCA is having their first rally cross tomorrow in a farm field. It's going to be 50º maybe I should try the new seat out?

Reactions: 68Hildago

·
Registered
308 Posts
I may be crazy here, but I kinda love the black seats with the tan interior! Put both black ones in and swap out the rear seats for black! I think it might look killer!

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I may be crazy here, but I kinda love the black seats with the tan interior! Put both black ones in and swap out the rear seats for black! I think it might look killer!

I just had 2 autocross friends I texted the same pictures to tell me the same thing.

·
Registered
21,022 Posts
I've never sat Procar seats good to know that they hold well! These Cobra seats are for skinny people with the center section being only 13" wide. I have a 33" waist and I think even I'll be snug! With no tracks provided and no tilt feature comprises and adjustments will have to be made.
I have the Procar seats in my 66. They hold you nice BUT you will sit higher. I'm 6 foot and don't have a lot of head room. The bolster made it a little harder to get in and out. I still have the stock steering wheel. I will be going to a LeCarra Sebring style wheel which at 15" is slightly smaller. I'm about 170 pounds

1 - 20 of 24 Posts