Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Friends

So I dream of adding an Export brace. One inch front sway bar, doing the conversion to Disc's, maybe the A arm drop. With all that huge work ahead I wondered about the pitman arm.

I thought Id ask if anyone has converted the idler / pitman arms on their car.

Converted to the 6 " GT350 arm and different sized pitman. Should I wait for that future date of massive work or buy now. Anyone recommend a good kit. ? I read the quick steer kits are giving incorrect length pitman arms.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I'm running them with the rollerized idler arm and power steering. It took about 3/4 turn out lock to lock down to 3 1/4 from 4. Was a worthwhile upgrade on the street.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm running them with the rollerized idler arm and power steering. It took about 3/4 turn out lock to lock down to 3 1/4 from 4. Was a worthwhile upgrade on the street.
Thanks Nailbender

It sounds like the amount of control gain is not the emergency 'avoid the pot hole' control I was hoping for !

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have it on my '65. I much prefer the quicker steering, and I didn't have to change my box. I have manual steering.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
I cheated, I put the rollerized quick steering pieces on my power steering 65. It improved the steering and has worked well. Many sources say this combo won't work, but I've had no problems.

Call Open Tracker, he will take care you with good quality parts.

·
Registered
8,382 Posts
Thanks Nailbender

It sounds like the amount of control gain is not the emergency 'avoid the pot hole' control I was hoping for !
1/2 turn reduction at the steering wheel for me. Don't underestimate the impact on response... particularly with a wider
than stock tire.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
413 Posts
With manual steering, a quick steer box from a power steering car and 225 front tires, it hard enough to navigate at slow speeds...
Agreed. I run 205 front tires to make it a little easier.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I cheated, I put the rollerized quick steering pieces on my power steering 65. It improved the steering and has worked well. Many sources say this combo won't work, but I've had no problems.

Call Open Tracker, he will take care you with good quality parts.
Hi Harvey

Do you have an link example to a "rollerized " quick steering pieces.

Thx

Lawrence

·
Registered
19,969 Posts
I'm running a Opentracker roller idler arm While it may take away from the steering wheel returning, it adds a bit more precise feeling to the steering. I run a 16:1 box, 215/60/15 tires and 4* caster. It's fine

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1/2 turn reduction at the steering wheel for me. Don't underestimate the impact on response... particularly with a wider
than stock tire.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

Hi 289

so what would be the benefit of changing the steering box to stronger gears? and the cost !

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm running a Opentracker roller idler arm While it may take away from the steering wheel returning, it adds a bit more precise feeling to the steering. I run a 16:1 box, 215/60/15 tires and 4* caster. It's fine
HI Huskin

But I dont understand the failing to return comment. Bearings lube both directions....

·
Registered
8,382 Posts
Hi 289

so what would be the benefit of changing the steering box to stronger gears? and the cost !
Huh?

Who is changing a steering box to stronger gears? All we've been talking about is longer pitman and idler
arms to get quicker overall response.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
8,382 Posts
HI Huskin

But I dont understand the failing to return comment. Bearings lube both directions....
Return to center on a 65/66 is mainly caused by the rubber idler bushing design. When you go to a solid
idler bushing or a bearing in the idler arm, that "return to center" design goes away. You have to
crank up the positive caster to get it to return to center.......

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
33,629 Posts
I love me my Quick Steer Pitman and idler. Not too many other mods you can do to speed up the steering other than replacing the box or putting in a "quickener" which may or may not be permitted by your state's safety inspection.

·
Registered
19,969 Posts
HI Huskin

It's when you turn a corner and the steering wheel returns. For the steering wheel to come back there has to be a road force to do it. That's caster. Think of bicycle wanting to go straight when you take your hands off the handle bar. The more caster you add, the more force is needed to lift the front of the bicycle neck up fighting the weight of the rider. The weight of the rider is what keeps the bicycle straight and make the handle bars want to return. Same on a car. Since our Mustangs had little to no weight fighting to make the steering wheel return, it's done artificially with a rubber bushing that doesn't want to twist. That's what returns the wheel on a Mustang. The roller idler arm has no binding of a bushing to return the wheel. You need about 5* positive caster to naturally return the steering wheel.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts