Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My youngest son has a 66 coupe and we are thinking of turning it into a race car. The car is rust free shell with no running gear. I have the 302 Mexican block and would probably do a five speed.

Just thinking it over, nothing more at this point. Looking for insight.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I have always wanted to build one too... The sky is the limit as far as a budget though... the parts can get real expensive depending on competitive you wanna be. Some good threads in the racing section. The latest one is a 67 TA, real nice work and the guy is doing it all himself. check it out.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I don't even know if it will be raced or not, but more of a clone that sounds good lol I will do some research on it and see what I would need to do to make it something he could really race though. Or I could race it:)

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Dallas Mustang did a tribute to the Terlingua Mustang a few years ago based on a 65/66 coupe. I thought the did a great job and think they would be a blast on the street or track. Atleast it would give you some ideas... VIR is only 2 hrs away from me so it is so tempting but very expensive hobby, just like drag racing.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Hey sounds great, get a nice MIG welder and go to work.. Seriously, check out the thread I started in the Track section (65 Mustang vs ZR1 Corvette) there were alot of good ideas written there.
I have had my 65 fastback for many years and it has been a street racer, quarter mile drag racer and over the last 5 years become a road racer. I looked at all the modifications Shelby did to the early GT-350's and the mods done to the later Boss 302 cars as well as the new tech stuff.
I am in the process of stiffening the chassi with a 1 piece seat platform and torque boxes. If I had to do it over again I would probably skip sub frame connectors in favor of the convertible inner rockers and 1 piece seat platforms.
Be sure to set aside enough money to actually get it out to the track :)

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey sounds great, get a nice MIG welder and go to work.. Seriously, check out the thread I started in the Track section (65 Mustang vs ZR1 Corvette) there were alot of good ideas written there.
I have had my 65 fastback for many years and it has been a street racer, quarter mile drag racer and over the last 5 years become a road racer. I looked at all the modifications Shelby did to the early GT-350's and the mods done to the later Boss 302 cars as well as the new tech stuff.
I am in the process of stiffening the chassi with a 1 piece seat platform and torque boxes. If I had to do it over again I would probably skip sub frame connectors in favor of the convertible inner rockers and 1 piece seat platforms.
Be sure to set aside enough money to actually get it out to the track :)
I make the outside look like one, but not sure I have money for the race mods. Maybe those can be done though time? I have a Mexican block to use in it. I am talking to a guy about a 9in for the car. I already have the welder:)

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
You can still do it on a budget and in increments. I had the most fun with my 65 Fastback when it was in black primer and the interior all tore-up. I would spray it in Satin black primer look, add some Torque trust wheels, Shelby drop, 1" sway bar, R model apron, add a rollbar, some side exit exhaust, etc.. and you will have a lost cost street / track car.
Go for it ! you can make more expensive track inspired mods as you go.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Definately cheaper to do w/o going full race, if you installed a roll bar it would make the rear seat useless and dangerous. I'm doing my '67 TransAm style minus roll bar as the family loves riding in it and in all honesty to myself it will be 90% DD, 10% track.

The paint job is the biggest give away for these theme cars I believe, here's a few pics of a '65/66? I took at our clubs car show/ open track last sept. to get you going:

You can also paint the engine bay gray like they did to spot leaks/drips, wish I would have done this when I was painting, really sets the bay off and is different at cruise ins:

Here's a great site for endless pics to give you ideas:
Neue Seite 1

Be sure to document the transformation and post pics, we likey pics!
Jon

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
If you need/want some inspiration, check out the photos in the various albums at this link:
VIR - July 1966 Trans Am

I have a '66 coupe that I'm in the process of resto-modding. I had batted around the idea numerous times of making it into a '66 Trans Am clone car! My personal favorite has always been Tom Yeager's car.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those are awesome cars!! I will probably keep the back seat in the car for now. Here are some pictures of the car as it sits. There is honestly no rust except for light surface rust on this car. We picked it up for $200. Just a great shell to build something.

·
Registered
107 Posts

·
Registered
9,994 Posts
Well, do look into the Shelby; T/A car website for ideas. There isn't much other than doing what Shelby did to a 66. Lowering the upper control arms and of course, buying the better suspension parts- springs, shocks, wheels tires.
the engine is pretty basic, but, if you just want to built a close looking "track car", use newer aluminum heads, a 302 block (cheat it with a 331 or 347 stroker kit). Rollbar with better belts.
Do pay attention to any rule books if that is what the thing will be built for, no sense in not building by the rules.
Don't be afraid to re-install that vinyl top. Hemmings Muscle car showed some 66 T/A Mustangs 2-3 months back and one of them had one on. It was privateer owned.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have thought about the stroker motor, but it all depends on the budget. I will make the boy pay for most everything. I will help him get the bodywork done and painted, but he will have to save for the rest. The 302 Mexican block is already bored 30 over. I am taking it down to my friends machine shop tomorrow and having it looked at. We will know more tomorrow. We will for sure do the Shelby lowering and I have some new springs for the front already and the four speed pedals. The car was originally yellow with a black vinyl top, but still not sure if we will keep it or not.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts