Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am a new guy looking at what American Classics (in Kent I think) has to offer. I live in PA and am currently looking at many alternatives. Have any of you local folks had any experience with them? Thanks for any comments.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
I think they're another one of the "very nice but overpriced" car boutiques. If I were you and looking into such places, I'd consider KAR in Chicago, I think. They do excellent work. Prices are way towards the top end, but shipping from there vs. here is probably a difference of $1000.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
KAR, or American Classics? KAR does (and they're expensive but good). No idea on AC.

Do you need work done? Talk to Dean about Commet.

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
I know there is someone here that bought a red coupe from them (username is Nailz I believe), you might try sending him a PM. 66_Pony is right, they have pretty nice stuff...some a bit overpriced IMHO. Now is the sticker price the real price? Don't know, ask Nailz.

I personally wouldn't ship a car from them cross-country.
You should be able to find a car closer to home and avoid BIG shipping costs.

Also, be aware...it seems like alot of their cars have a "GT package" on them. To be fair I have recently seen the window stickers with "replica" or "clone" penciled in. They're not deceiving folks or anything...actually very nice guys. But, when buying Mustangs "Caveat Emptor"...get a Marti Report, or if looking for a '65-'66, know what you're looking at. Especially if paying a premium price. ::

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
Yes they do customer's cars. I recently inquired about having them do my headliner and front/back glass. A bit expensive, I found someone cheaper that would come out to my location to do the work.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I was referring to AC. One project I want to do is an under-dash restoration, paint the dash, new wiring harness, r&r the heater components and whatever other while-your-at-its that make sense when the dash is apart. I dont know whether I want to make it my own winter project or have someone else do it. The existance of a good shop and the cost will factor into that decision.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Well, there's Scott Robinson in Snohomish who Dan swears by. Which is kind of weird, him going around saying "By Scott Robinson!" Anyway, I've spent some time with him and he does good work for a reasonable price. Downside is, he runs a very small shop from his home, so you'd have to talk to him about scheduling work.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi there, bbenthin is correct, I did just purchase a 66 from them not quite a month ago. It was a bit overpriced, I will admit it, but the main issue, which isn't as big a deal for me because I am local, is what they consider "restored".

They give you a 30 day warranty, but you may have trouble with that having the car delivered. I have had the car in a couple of times with a laundry list f things for them to take care of for me. They replaced the carburator, albeit with a very nice Edlebrock 4bbl, it needed to be tuned up, the brakes looked at, seals ordered for the front side windows (these the owner had said he would order and that I would need to put in myself because he had done enough, can you belive that BS?), and a host of other little things that should have been caught had they actually done all the little things they say they do with their multi-point inspection.

I understand it being an old car, but it has been a bit trying. Not to mention that IMHO the owner has been quite rude about some of the things he has had to fix under the warranty.

At this point, the car is pretty much done and running nicely, but had I been in another city, I would have been in trouble. Would I do it again, definitely not....

I have learned a lot from this little adventure, and there was definitely way more homework I needed to do and I got bitten, but at this point the car is fine and is quite a beauty, it's just been a hassle to get there and a huge lesson learned.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Nailz and everyone else. They have a program there, much like a shop I used for a 56 Thunderbird. They will "find" the car I am interested in and restore it for a set price. The condition of the car they start with probably dictates if they make a lot of money or A LOT of money! The distance thing is a major problem. That much work means something will not be quite right. If I did this, I would fly out and inspect prior to taking delivery. Tend to agree with Nailz, a workable idea if price is not most important factor and you are close enough to work with them.

KAR seems pretty good but expensive. They are closer, maybe I will look into that.

Still looking in PA area but pickings are slim. Every Mach I that I look at is either 30K, a rust bucket, or both! Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I know, I'm totally out of control, but I can't stop thinking about that car! Something about the green... I am broke, already have #3 Mustangs, two of which are currently dead (not for long, tho!), and I continue to lust after that '69 coupe! I honestly don't know what's wrong with me.

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
Just called them. Sold to a guy in Florida who then shipped it to Jamaica.
I knew I should have hidden in the trunk! ::

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Bummer! I made them three offers for the car, but they wouldn't budge on their price--I guess they were smart since it ended up selling, but I wonder if the Florida guy ever saw it close up and personal... As usual, it looked much better in pictures, but was a solid car to start with. At least I can stop thinking about in now :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts