Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son had his first fender bender today. It was minor and everyone was OK. (Pulling into a parking space). The right headlight door is trashed and the headlight bucket assembly is ripped at the lower mount for the door. The only good thing other than everybody being alright, is he damaged the ill fitting after market right fender that was on the car when we bought it. The one on the car is marked TK. It's not shaped correctly at the top rear corner and has an awful gap at the rocker.

In keeping with the spirit of staying positive, I am going to seize this opportunity to correct the fender fit that has driven me crazy. In reading the older posts it seems like the build quality comes and goes on all of the replacement fenders including to Ford Tooling ones. Does anyone have a recommendation or warning based on a recent purchase?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I bought one from NPD two years ago, Took about 30 minutes of bending the flanges here and there, but it fit great.

·
Registered
34,165 Posts
If insurance is being used, I'd get them to spring for rust-free used for all 3 pieces. Was the stone deflector damaged as well?

There are some used fenders and a TON of front fender extensions on eBay... make sure you check the extensions well for broken tabs.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bartl, somehow the stone deflector and bumper both seem Ok. I'm going to take the bumper off tomorrow to double check. I have a good used OEM headlight door located locally. All of the used bucket assemblies that I have found are either missing tabs or the upper one is cracked. I have heard the cracks can be fixed with JB Weld. Is this correct? Would I be better off with a repaired tab original or a repop?

·
Registered
34,165 Posts
There's still some good originals out there. However, if the repair kit is used ALONG WITH pop rivets then it should be okay. I've used the kit alone and it did not hold.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts