Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if any of you bought the Evolution Motorsports TriLink on the preorder with the $250 discount?

·
Registered
693 Posts
I'm not ready to buy it just yet....but I do have a question:

Can you still use rear exit (stock) exhaust with this setup? What about with the Watts?

Let us know how you like the system and your impressions guys...We are very interested.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I'm also interested in hearing opinions of this kit once installed. I'm eagerly awaiting a review of the Watts/Tri-Link kit!

Sure looks like a nice setup.

·
Registered
59 Posts
WsmataU said:
Can you still use rear exit (stock) exhaust with this setup? What about with the Watts?
You will be able to run rear exit exhaust. That's not to say you can by stock tailpipes...We are developing an exhaust solution around 2 1/2" pipes. We are hoping to get some pictures posted soon.

Thanks...Mike

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
So what are you guys who bought the Tri-Link kit using for a front suspension?
In my experience, the front suspension on mustangs are most of the ill handling problems.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I haven't placed an order yet, as I'm nowhere near ready to install the suspension on my '70, but if I had to purchase a kit right now, I'd go with Total Control Products' front coilover setup.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I came very close to ordering but without seeing pictures of the exhaust coming out the back I passed on it. Now with the package the way I would want it I would be looking at almost $4000 to buy.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Jim_Sams said:
So what are you guys who bought the Tri-Link kit using for a front suspension?
In my experience, the front suspension on mustangs are most of the ill handling problems.
Lowered a-arms, re-inforced with a manually relocated ball joint (opentrackerracing), roller spring perch (opentrackerracing), moog lower arm, Baer bump steer kit, 620 springs, IAS shocks, adjustable heim joint strut rods (streetortrack.com) 1 1/8 sway bar

·
Registered
251 Posts
Nope, not yet.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Comic said:
Shaking my head as to why someone would put a watts link on a street car?
Keep shaking why I pass you. ;)
Have you looked under a modern car lately? Many many cars have Watts links; and it isn't just the 'performance' cars you might think...Dodge Durango's have a Watts links.

I have my Watts because I had very noticeable rear movement on my 65 and I am running as wide as I can fit rear tires so elimination of the side to side movement was important to me. Taking into account that I have a pretty well performing front setup it was easy to pick out the next weakest link in my setup being unwanted rear end movement. The Watts settles the car nicely and it is far more predicable at speed changing lanes, on exit ramps and on straight aways where the road conditions are less than smooth. If you don't have a tuned in front suspension or you are still running 195 70 14 etc...you're right...no need for a Watts because you have way to many other areas to worry about first IMO.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Comic said:
because some of us take our street cars to the track

...and because some of us are occasionally guilty of driving inappropriately on the street :grin:

·
Registered
252 Posts
dodgestang said:
Comic said:
Keep shaking why I pass you. ;)
Have you looked under a modern car lately? Many many cars have Watts links; and it isn't just the 'performance' cars you might think...Dodge Durango's have a Watts links.

I have my Watts because I had very noticeable rear movement on my 65 and I am running as wide as I can fit rear tires so elimination of the side to side movement was important to me. Taking into account that I have a pretty well performing front setup it was easy to pick out the next weakest link in my setup being unwanted rear end movement. The Watts settles the car nicely and it is far more predicable at speed changing lanes, on exit ramps and on straight aways where the road conditions are less than smooth. If you don't have a tuned in front suspension or you are still running 195 70 14 etc...you're right...no need for a Watts because you have way to many other areas to worry about first IMO.
It amazes me that you assume that I do not know what I'm talking about.
1. What is your roll center?
2. Side load?
3. Weight distrubution?
4. Tires( sidewall strength)?
5. Spring rate rear?( not # of leafs)
6. Spring rate Front?(true rate,not the thickness)
7. Front sway bar
A watts link has issues with roll center that a panhard bar does not.limiting roll will effect exit speed dramaticly.
Either device is for tuning only.
The caster/camber/toe settings we use will not work on the street.
Oh by the way, I have looked(worked)under a modern cars recently, just a few GT1's.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Comic said:
It amazes me that you assume that I do not know what I'm talking about.
Ahhh you've made the assumption that I care ;). You're first assumption was right; at least in my case. It is a street car primarily so all the CC style stuff I read about all the time listed below...

Comic said:
1. What is your roll center?
2. Side load?
3. Weight distribution?
4. Tires( sidewall strength)?
5. Spring rate rear?( not # of leafs)
6. Spring rate Front?(true rate,not the thickness)
7. Front sway bar
A watts link has issues with roll center that a panhard bar does not.limiting roll will effect exit speed dramatically.
Either device is for tuning only.
The caster/camber/toe settings we use will not work on the street.
...I am not at the level of actually caring about many of these just yet. I am at the level where I am attempting macro tuning on the car and the amount of tire scrub I was getting on simple exit ramps and various highway cloverleafs was telling me I had a relatively large lateral movement problem (with the shackle and 5 leaf setup), not an excessive roll problem (although a compound problem was always a possibility). Prior to pulling the trigger on the watts I did happen try a different shock setup with no change so I felt I needed a device to help center the rear and keep it there. Yes I could have gone with a panhard or a watts, I picked the watts. After installing the watts my rear tire scrub issue was gone. So to me that was one large issue fixed (I suspect it would have been fixed with the panhard just as well but since I had been considering a coil over rear setup for sometime, the watts from EVM seemed like a good fit for my present and future needs).

Comic said:
Oh by the way, I have looked(worked)under a modern cars recently, just a few GT1's.
Hey that's great so you've seen plenty of street cars with a watts and you didn't need to impress the group with a leading question so you could then attempt to show off the size of your cranium.

And yes I know I have my smartarse hat on, don't take me personally :p

·
Registered
252 Posts
What's "CC"?
My point is, I see people purchase things that they do not even know what they are buying.
Just old fashioned,,,all these advertisements and posting about there product just to make a sale.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Comic said:
What's "CC"?
My point is, I see people purchase things that they do not even know what they are buying.
Just old fashioned,,,all these advertisements and posting about there product just to make a sale.
"CC": Reference to another Forum where in-depth discussions about calculation of roll centers and the relatively strengths and weaknesses of certain suspension choices over others in intricate detail occur daily (as well as just about any other automotive and non-automotive topic in a zero tolerance no BS allowed format).

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hope that you understand that not trying to bash or insult anyone here.
Just a little education....having learned(spent money) on some suggestions that did not work out so well(wasted Money).
While racing at Road America last year, a gentleman asked me about my car...the proceeded to crawl underneath it. Later found out it was the Fay2 guy scoping things out.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,699 Posts
Comic said:
One more.
Looked underneath a late model Crown Victoria lately? Silly Ford engineers anyway, what do they know.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts