Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to change the pinion bearings on my '65 289. (I have that high pitched whine.) If anyone has done this recently and would like to walk me through it that would be great. I am probably going to replace my rear leaf springs while I am under the rear end. If that makes it easier or harder.
Thanks, diArdi

·
Registered
145 Posts
8" or 9", it is the same procedure. Remove the 4 bolts on the driveshaft. Remove the shaft from the tranny (stick something in it to prevent fluid to escape). If you have a diff drain plug, drain the diff. Take off the rear wheels and take out the 4 bolts that hold the axles in. Pull the axle out about 6-8" (if you see fluid leaking out, you'll need to replace the axle seals). Remove the carrier by removing all of the bolts (if no drain plug, the fluid will drain now, get a pan underneath).

Check the gears. Be sure they are in good condition. (they ride on bearings also).

The pinion bearing has to be pressed out. I take mine to a machine shop and have them press out the bearing and press in a new one.

Leaf springs? That makes the job harder.

Good luck...

·
Registered
317 Posts
I also had the high pitch whine. Here is what I did and it worked out great.

Drop car at transmission shop.
Picked it up 3 days later.

Couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I certainly wouldn't assume the whine will be cured by changing the pinion bearing.

Is it leaking oil out the front seal?

Is the preload gone?

I would consider pulling the pumpkin (because it's so easy) and check the backlash and tooth pattern.

To change the pinion bearings you'll have to press them off and also replace the associated races. Then reset the crush washer (Pinion preload) and odds are this will mess up your backlash and tooth pattern. You should be changing the pilot bearing too and that requires pulling the chuck.

good luck,

Charlie
::

1 - 4 of 4 Posts