Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Anyone done a headliner lately?

673 views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  Guest 
#1 ·
I got a new headliner from Mustangs Unlimited and for the life of me, I can't tell which end is the front and which is the rear. The new one is made by Distinctive Industries. Laying my old cut out headliner on top didn't offer any clues. The new one has two notches cut in the center on one end and three on the other. The sides are not symetrical. Is there a way to tell which end is which? I don't want to pull the bows out of the old one until I know. Thanks

Vintage Burgundy 1966 Mustang GT Fastback
MCA member #46447

G
#2 ·
Joe I just did mine last summer and although it took a bit of time the job came out great! IIRC the clue is in the size of the cutout for the windsheild/backlite. The smaller one is for the rear and the larger (wider actually I guess) is for the front. I think the confusion stems from the fact that although I ordered a '65 2+2 piece,. what I got was actually a 'universal' (non) fit. So it doesn't really 'drop in' for any application!
I did use my old one as a template but left a little extra to allow for mistakes etc. I had both pieces of glass out so the job was straightforward (once I got the courage to make the final cuts etc.) and if I was to do it with the glass in I'd get a curved putty knife type toll like NPD sell for 5-6 bucks to tuck the ends under the rubber seals.I hope this helps.
Mine came out perfect so it can be done!!!

......Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.