Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked a rainy day to finally install my Sport R headrests to my Sport R seats. Got everything fitted in the first seat, but I have to say, I'm quite disappointed with the product TMI sent me. I will be directing them to this post, but I'm curious if this is a one off goof, or SOP?
The grain of the vinyl does not match the seats, and the red thread stitching is about twice as thick as the thread in the seat covers. Not the best photos, but I think you can see the difference. It really stands out better (or worse, I should say) in person.
It's not just the grain, but the headrests have a more matte finish, and the seats have more of a sheen to them.

Headrest stitching

Seat stitching

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I can clearly see what you mean. It looks like two totally separate materials and threads.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Either material/thread would look great if they matched, but they definitely don't. I have TMI covers (no headrests, though), and I was surprised when my Humphugger console arrived and matched perfectly (so I assumed the vinyl must have come from a common source- even with parts from different suppliers).

Were the headrests and covers ordered at the same time? If not, maybe they've changed the vinyl they use?

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Not lust the sheen, the grain looks very different.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Either material/thread would look great if they matched, but they definitely don't. I have TMI covers (no headrests, though), and I was surprised when my Humphugger console arrived and matched perfectly (so I assumed the vinyl must have come from a common source- even with parts from different suppliers).

Were the headrests and covers ordered at the same time? If not, maybe they've changed the vinyl they use?
No, I ordered the covers long before the headrest were produced. I actually like the heavier/thicker stitching on the headrests. Wish it was like that on the seats.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Scott you are 100% correct - those are two different vinyls - we offer our Sport R upholstery in two black vinyls - 958 Sierra (gloss) and the 6525 Verona (matte).
The sierra is what was used on your factory interior, the Verona is used on our Sport R line and was borrowed from the 05+ interiors. We offer both the headrest and the upholstery in BOTH options of vinyl. You just need to contact whichever dealer you purchased the headrest from and ask for them to be made in the 958 Gloss Sierra Vinyl so they will match your seats.

We offer it our Sport R line in both grains so you guys have a choice - say you already have nice door panels, quarters, and an aftermarket console in your ride but want to go with the SPORT R's - that's when (like you did above) a customer would opt for the factory grain of the sierra. But if you're going all out custom, or would like to add a touch of modern to your ride - we offer the Sport R in Matte Black Verona vinyl.

So it wasn't a flop - no need to be disappointed.
It was either ordered wrong on the site, or ordered wrong through the dealer.
Either way - that is a extremely easy fix.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Will the stitching size match? Is that a headrest/seat thing or a vinyl thing?

Not sure if he went to a dealer or what, but I can't seem to find the option for the two different vinyls on the TMI website.

Also are there going to be other stitching color options? Custom order with gold stitching?

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I never saw vinyl options. Just thread colors. And it was through CJ's. Wish I knew they came like my headrests, I like that finish better! And no, I am not going to recover them! LOL!!
Thanks TMI, I'll contact CJ's about swapping them out.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
This is excellent detail info. for those of us waiting for next big CJ sale to order seats.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
I never saw vinyl options. Just thread colors. And it was through CJ's. Wish I knew they came like my headrests, I like that finish better! And no, I am not going to recover them! LOL!!
Thanks TMI, I'll contact CJ's about swapping them out.
Thanks Scott - tell them you were talking with me - they know me all too well over there :)

One made in China, the other Taiwan, Lol. Maybe you could have an interior shop redo the headrest to match?
Sorry, even as a joke I can't let that one slide.
We (unlike everyone of our competitors, except Legendary) produce 100 % of what we sell right here in the United States - notice I didn't say 'made in america', because technically every country in this hemisphere is 'In America' - (be it North America, Central or South America I guess would be a better description.)
Our products are made right here at 1493 E. Bentley Drive in Corona California, and have been for 32 years and counting. We have 160,000 sq ft and over 200 United States citizens working here 3 shifts a day, 6 days a week. Below is our facility tour, you can also take a step by step walk through starting at our front door here:
https://www.google.com/maps/preview

Here is the youtube facility tour:
TMI Warehouse Tour - YouTube

Or if anyone is in the area, stop in and I'd be happy to give you the nickel tour. :)

-Waylon

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's good to know that at least some of my rebuild was made in the good old US of A! With all my Tiawan sheet metal, bumpers and glass, I started telling everyone it's my foreign Mustang.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
It's good to know that at least some of my rebuild was made in the good old US of A! With all my Tiawan sheet metal, bumpers and glass, I started telling everyone it's my foreign Mustang.
Quick up date for ya Scott.
These were finished up today and I had them brought by my desk before we shipped them out. I also PM'd you the tracking number!

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
now that's good old fashion american service!!!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Quick up date for ya Scott.
These were finished up today and I had them brought by my desk before we shipped them out. I also PM'd you the tracking number!

Kuddos to you sir, solid customer service is a lost art these days.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Waylon,
Sorry for the late reply. Things have been crazy at home and work lately and I keep forgetting about your PM.
Man, those look great! Thanks for taking care of me on this one!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts