Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's start the VMF band.

no seriously, I need a hand with my banjo. I have a capo, but it is not on the top string. I have seen small spikes that are in teh necks of some banjos to clip the string under, but I can't seem to find anyone to put those in my banjo. There must be someone else here who knows who to talk to.

Ok, who plays what? There must be some musical talent on this forum, I am sure you all can play something.

I'll go first

drums, piano, banjo, guitar, brown jug (seriously, don't laugh, I do)

heehaw

·
Registered
656 Posts
Well, for me it's the guitar, trombone, and the good ol' armpit (musical farts). I wonder if we could all combine our talents and create a cd to help the VMF? I MIGHT buy one... well maybe not...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Wow, it's a small world...I play the guitar and trombone...well, I used to play the trombone, and I play AT the guitar, but that's close, right??? LOL

OH yeah, and I can play the RADIO really well...

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Well, over the course of my life I have played guitar, saxophone, trombone, Tuba, baritone, french horn, flute, and clarinet. The only intruments I was really any good at, though, was the trumpet that I played for about 4 years, piano which I've played off and on for about 35 years, and the drums which I've played off and on for about 27 years. Currently I still have my drum kit which resides in my great room upstairs and a piano that resides in my living room.

So when's our first rehersal? ::

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Guitar, resonator slide guitar, mandolin, octave mandolin and mandola.

Musical styles:
Hank to Hendrix.
Nitty Gritty to New Wave.
Buddy Holly to Bill Monroe.

It all depends on who I'm with. There are about 20 of us that are no longer in bands because of other priorities. Every Tues and Thurs night in the colder months there are open jams at a couple of different places. My warehouse is one. So musical tastes collide/converge and a good time is had by all.
Lately it's been ZZ Top, Zepplin, Thorogood, Allman Bros, REM, Dead, Tom Petty and Skynyrd. Later it might morph to James Taylor, Patty Loveless, Bonnie Raitt, Nitty Gritty to Tradionals.
We even do a Christmas Thing! Silent Night with Slide, Mandolin, 12 String and Acoustic Bass. We take "breaks" bluegrass jam style. Brings on a near religious experience...

I tell every one we play for Self Amazement. We get all done and look at each other and say. I can't belive we did that!

Dan

P.S. I've seen those clip thingies. It would seem that there would be a luthier in your area.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Percussion Player here. If you can hit it with your hand or beat it with a stick I can play it. I love my DW's! ::

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Back when I actually had time to pursue multiple hobbies, I used to play acoustic guitar (flatpick and fingerstyle) and dabbled with mandolin and banjo. I was only passable with those later two, more as an accompanist.....

Re the banjo capo, I'd talk to any reputable luthier in your area. If you don't know of one, I've had good luck buying instruments from Elderly in MI, Mandolin Bros in NY, and Gruhn in Nashville. Dickson

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Guitar, bass, drums, strum stick, trombone. Styles: Jazz, funk, punk, rockabilly, reagae, R&R, R&B and country if I'm really drunk.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
I used to play MEAN air guitar but alias as age crepts up on me only now and again and without anyone around.

I can play the CD player in car also decent Kazso

Mark

·
Registered
839 Posts
Drums here, since 1965. I'm an old Rogers drums freak. Had a basement full of them and a full PA system. I agree with badtb2 and say that DW are great drums., and if i were to purchase a new set I would buy them or buy more '60s vintage Rogers, Slingerland, or Gretsch. Had Ludwig but like the others better. I still love the rock music. If anyone can catch a Paul Revere and the Raiders show, DO IT. He supports VietNam Vets and Rolling Thunder with their ride to the wall and CD sales $$. If you like 60's, get their Ride to the Wall CD available on their website at www.paulrevereraiders.com

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
I played bass guitar in a little garage band in high school...played a little backup guitar too. Found out recently that playing guitar isn't like riding a bike...you do forget over time. My oldest son got a guitar last christmas and I was going to show him how to play...I guess 20 years and mild arthritis pretty much took care of any skills I used to have.
Now I'm just an occasional song re-writer... :: Maybe I could write your vmf band a nice song...

·
Registered
385 Posts
Guitar, bass, drums, violin, banjo, mandolin. Anything with strings, I can do.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Saxophone, guitar.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts