Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set that have rusted beyond repair around the rims from years of sitting. I have thought about re-chroming, a trim ring, etc. but have most often wondered what they would look like powder coated an argent or charcoal gray with maybe some accents. Since I can't really go wrong I might just play with them after I switch to 16x8 wheels, but was wondering if anyone has done anything similar? I've searched for pictures but have come up empty so far.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
My magnums are painted ones likely from a late 70's Granada. I painted the center sections my body color (Toyota medium red pearl), masked those areas off then shot the rest of the wheel with a silver metallic.

I like the look. It would be more work to mask a styled wheel, but doable.

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
I see no reason why they can't be powder coated.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those look good, Patrick. My centers are pristine, it’s the rim that has the rust. The blacked out shot piqued my interest though. I think I will pull one and take the tire off and play around with it to see if I can hit a color combo. They really are good looking wheels.

·
Premium Member
4,355 Posts
I love the 66 Styled Steel wheels that I restored for my car, and you could paint or powder coat the rim on 65s charcoal then use the stainless trim rings just like a 66.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thought about trim rings, it would be the simple fix, but I really want just rim. One of my aesthetic tics. These will just be a second set of “play” wheels (15x7), because I intend to go 16x8 all around. I’ve even thought of using them on my ‘86 F150. I’ll be sure and post whatever I come up with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts