Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever done this??? I know that stock they will run a 20.5-21 second qtr mile.

I am hoping to get mine to run in the high 14's. Is this being unrealistic?? Anybody have any comments or have hopped up and raced a 6 cylinder before??

It will be another 4-6 weeks before the tracks open up around here and I can hardly wait to see what it will run!!!
Later,

Doug

[color:blue]66 Mustang Coupe 206ci</font color=blue>
[color:red]Six Packer Performance Freak</font color=red>
11.1 Compression/ 6,000 RPM/Clifford Cam & Valve Train
http://inlinefever.homestead.com/files/sig_pic.jpg

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
About 10 years ago I was working as a pizza delivery driver. One night this kid in a 66 I6 Coupe raced me coming off a stoplight. I was pulling away from him at about 35 mph and I let off the gas just enough to let him win. I couldn't allow myself to beat a Mustang driving a Toyota pickup with an automatic trans.

Black primer 66 coupe, bench seat, 68 302-2V, C-4, 3.55 TSD
879 posts as "66 bench-coupe" on old VMF
robert94928 on Yahoo Messenger <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by 66benchcoupe on 03/18/01 10:59 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm, Maybe I should rephrase the question......I have a radically built 6 cylinder under the hood of my stang and am curious if any one has ever built and raced one before and can they actually hold there own against a mildly built small block.

My next upgrade after I get my water injection unit and new headers installed is to upgrade my rearend to a 8" with T-lock.

I have major traction problems in 1st and 2nd gear....A friend of mine has a 65 fastback with a 289 that does not have this problem.....He has allready indicated that he will not race me cause he does'nt want the humiliation of being beat by a six!/forums/images/icons/smile.gif
Later,

Doug

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Sorry, I couldn't resist the chance to tell my heroic tale. LOL That kids car was definately stock and it did well against that delivery truck which was pretty quick. I steadily accelerated that thing up to 115 a couple of times. Boy was I a lousy employee! I'm sure you could get into the 14's with a six. take it to a track and see what it'll do.

Black primer 66 coupe, bench seat, 68 302-2V, C-4, 3.55 TSD
879 posts as "66 bench-coupe" on old VMF
robert94928 on Yahoo Messenger

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
You need to talk to John, goes by FordInliner here at VMF. You should also check out the Ford Six Cylinder Performance board at http://pub41.ezboard.com/bfordsixcylinderperformanceforum. Overthere John goes by Inliner. I think he's made a best of 16 something in the qtr mile with minor mods.

All kinds of good stuff.

Whoops! I noticed you guys already met. Should have read your introduction yesterday. Sorry.

Welcome and Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Dean_T on 03/18/01 12:17 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
My first Mustang, and I6 auto trans '65 FB, was shut down by my buddy with an '80 4 banger Pinto with 4 speed trans. It also could out corner me also. However the I6 'Stang was sold for more than what was paid for and my buddy's Pinto was broadsided by a cop when his brother started to pull out of his driveway.

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check out my FAQ (URL in sig, below) and look for a topic on enhancing an i6. The topic includes links to some i6 performance websites.

Answer to your question is, yes, it has been done, and is being done by a VMF regular, Inliner, who has a stated target of beating a 302 with his souped up 6. He moderates one of the performance web sites linked in the FAQ topic.

Jerry

The FAQs, nothing but the FAQs: http://www.geocities.com/a65ragtop/VM_FAQ

If you can't [color:red]dazzle</font color=red> [color:green]them</font color=green> [color:yellow]with</font color=yellow> [color:purple]brilliance</font color=purple>, baffle 'em with bull

·
Registered
391 Posts
My first car in 19XX, a 1954 Ford 2dr Custom coupe with an I-6, three on the tree, and overdrive ran bone stock in the 19's. Never beat anything with it!

Russ

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
66BenchCoupe, I don't blame ya.....It was a good story!!/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Dean, I met John over at Clifford Performance last June and now we are fellow Moderators at the Ford Six Performance site. He's helped me out a lot!!!!

Jerry Thank's for the link....I will check it out.

Russ, Hopefully I will have better luck than you did/forums/images/icons/wink.gif
Thank's for the info.
Later,

Doug

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Doug:
Now you see why there is a Six Performance Board?Se habla sixes.
Rick

[color:blue]66 Coupe 200-C4 / 250-2V Aussie Head/2150 Motorcraft /Clifford Headers /Duraspark /MSD /Disks /TCP rack /8" rear</font color=blue>

[color:red]Rick's Pony</font color=red>
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by ricksmol on 03/18/01 02:11 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts