Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not saying I want to do it...just curious as to what it looks like without the gills, done a handful of searches but can never seems to find pictures, though I am sure it has been done before.

P.S. I guess I should specify 65-66

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wouldn't that make it look just like a 67?

View attachment 725198
Not exactly...the buckets and the doors are a different shape(but I do like how the 67 buckets look better in a direct comparison). What I am thinking is that if I dont shave them, I will instead make them functional by adding in LED strips that will become the turn signals, which would leave the turn signal holes free to be replaced with driving lights...but I think to pull that off cleanly would require those LEDs in the "low" spot of the louvers behind a strip of black tinted plastic or glass(on a black car) so they would only be visible with the turn signal on.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can buy a one piece fiberglass bucket assembly from Mustangs to Fear...much easier to work with....but yes, the factory cast stuff wouldn't be much fun(possible but not fun).

·
Registered
266 Posts
Not exactly...the buckets and the doors are a different shape(but I do like how the 67 buckets look better in a direct comparison). What I am thinking is that if I dont shave them, I will instead make them functional by adding in LED strips that will become the turn signals, which would leave the turn signal holes free to be replaced with driving lights...but I think to pull that off cleanly would require those LEDs in the "low" spot of the louvers behind a strip of black tinted plastic or glass(on a black car) so they would only be visible with the turn signal on.
I like the gills and was wondering why anyone would ever shave them, but I really like the idea of turning them into turn signals.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
The problem with turning them into turn signals is that they get blocked quite easily due to the projection of the grill. Look at the picture of BigKoppa's car above, you would never know if he was turning right. You can see from my car below that the angle does not have to be far off straight on for that surface to not be visible.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The problem with turning them into turn signals is that they get blocked quite easily due to the projection of the grill. Look at the picture of BigKoppa's car above, you would never know if he was turning right. You can see from my car below that the angle does not have to be far off straight on for that surface to not be visible.
Very good point, one I had not even thought about...but there are a lot of cars that you have difficulty seeing their blinkers at an angle:

http://www.jdmeuro.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/HAYASHI_COMMAND_TOYOTA_CELICA_01.jpg

Here is a RA29 Celica(used to have one of these I swapped a Dodge Neon 2.4L Turbo in after converting the engine to RWD...loved that car) as an example. Anything more than a slight angle hides the in-bumper turn signals, though the truck-bumper American version isnt as bad:

https://live.staticflickr.com/7743/17316908964_b8bfa50859_b.jpg

I just like things to be functional to a degree though...and blinkers are the only way I can see to make the louvers functional

·
Administrator
19,313 Posts
Wouldn't really be an issue if you just used your added lights as "repeaters", would it?

If I were to go to trouble to fit LED's into the gills there's no way I wouldn't go the extra mile and see if I couldn't make them sequential too.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I like the idea of adding the chrome gills if you could incorporate a turn signal or daytime running light into it.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wouldn't really be an issue if you just used your added lights as "repeaters", would it?

If I were to go to trouble to fit LED's into the gills there's no way I wouldn't go the extra mile and see if I couldn't make them sequential too.
True...I would probably make them sequential if I did it. The biggest draw to this mod for me would be to gain driving lights without cutting additional holes in the valance, or having the large factory style that I dislike in the grill(for some reason I have it in my head that driving lights should be relatively small and close to the ground)...the added bonus is that the louvers would actually do something

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like the idea of adding the chrome gills if you could incorporate a turn signal or daytime running light into it.
Funny you should mention that....found this bizarre amalgamation of facebook marketplace:

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/72322401_389459528672520_2776659119497543680_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_oc=AQnq399Hjazn4hy0p6r4esVsSPmUeG9gh_ruHhPQn0nupkqvNQUVsBlpUETup9NT6iw&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.xx&oh=b281e51534c3c79a2193a3608e4440de&oe=5E33E877

not a fan of the chrome trim for the louvers myself...but somebody was

1 - 17 of 17 Posts