Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the basic skills to take stuff apart, clean it and put it back. That's about it. Thinking of attempting some more challenging tasks like replacing my radiator support and inner fender apron. The loca Vo-tech offers a 36 hour workshop that touches on all the basics of welding, plastics, surface prep and painting. I know that experience will always be the best teacher but has anyone done this kind of course? Will it teach me enough to get me started on the things I mentioned?
Thanks, Drew

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
You want experience? ;) Get your butt over here...I've got some floors, pans, frame rails, etc. you can practice your fab skills on. Just picked up my parts yesterday :p.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kelly, as we say in the Army, learning that way is like drinking from a firehose! :: Still waiting on pictures from the shop by the way. We all want to see those big holes before you fix them.

Isn't the radiator support basic spot welding? As you can see I don't know anything, that's why I need the class. Is that more than I should expect to get from a 36 hour course?

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I took a class like that at Frederick Co. CC in MD, and I think it would be a great intro for the work you're trying to do. You should try to chat with the teacher in advance, explain what your goals are, and see what they say. The rapport that you build with them will be an indicator of whether or not they're willing to help you achieve your goals.

·
Premium Member
19,235 Posts
I think it would be an excellent investment of your time and energy to take the class. First, it would expose you to how cars can be repaired and pieces replaced; show you the tools necessary to do the work; and let you know how much time, effort, and $$ are required for a task. It would also expose you to other parts of the restoration "business" that you might not have thought about.

I'd take the class in a heartbeat!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Ask for the senior citizen discount ::. Seriously, that sounds like an excellent idea and I'd take one in a second also. PM me on the repairs some time or send me your phone #, I've got some good stories already :eek:.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts