Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who has been using Amsoil for years and loves it. AmsOil He changes his oil once a year and 12,000 or more miles at a clip.

I was wondering if anyone here uses this oil and what your thoughts are?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Pretty good stuff if you can find and afford it. Usually around $6.50-8.00/qt. If you're running an older flat tappet cam and lifters I think Amsoil has an oil with more zinc/phosphorus to potect those parts.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Yeah...there are quite a few people on hear that use it. Good stuff from what I've seen and heard.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dallas702 said:
Pretty good stuff if you can find and afford it. Usually around $6.50-8.00/qt. If you're running an older flat tappet cam and lifters I think Amsoil has an oil with more zinc/phosphorus to potect those parts.
You can become a preferred member and buy it direct. There is a membership fee and a small discount. I was going to have my friend order it for me first through his account.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I used it once and will never use it again on an engine that has more than 70K miles on it. I had a 57 Nomad Wagon with a 350 small block and about 82K on it. this car never dripped a spot of oil on my polebarn floor(even after sitting for quite a spell) I changed oil on a Sun and I went with amsoil cause I was told it would run cooler. I came out Monday morning to find a huge puddle of oil under my nomad. I only drove it to the dairy queen sun night(20 miles or so)but during the night the thing leaked like a sieve. I called the amsoil guy and asked him why? He told me that if an engine has not been running amsoil and it has quite a few miles on it,chances are that the oil has sludged and filled in some of the areas around the oil pan gasket. When you put in amsoil it totally cleans out all that gunk and being amsoil is super lightweight it will find those little gaps and seep thru. He was not kidding either. So I tried something,I drained out the amsoil and put in my regular 20WX50W Valvoline and my leaking problem was no longer a problem. So my advice is if you have a low mileage car(by all means use Amsoil but if you have a car with a few rounds on it DON"T!!!!!!

Dave

·
Registered
298 Posts
Use it in everything but especially like it in the big Diesel tractors and Semi trucks. I have used it in several "high" mileage cars and have not had any major problems with additional oil leaks.
David.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I've heard of the oil leak issues too, but never experienced myself. I think it's only a problem on older engines with 30+ year old gaskets and sealing technology. Newer engines or rebuilds with 90's-newer gaskets and sealers don't have any problem with Amsoil regardless of the mileage.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I use it in everything I own that has an engine. It is great stuff. I use it in my 2000 Taurus with the 24V DOHC engine. I change my oil every 25,000 miles, or once a year. Which ever comes first. I slipped one time to 33,000 miles. I just clicked 130,000 miles today. It runs and sounds as good as it did at 30,000 miles when I started using it. I average about 22,000 miles a year. It is quite a savings over conventional oil if you do the math. If nothing else, you buy less oil over the course of a year. Anything I can do to give the oil companies less of my money, is a good thing to me.

I mentioned my Taurus, as it is my work horse. My Mustang, Harley, air cooled VW, Expedition, Simplicity tractor and zero turn love it too. I run the Diesel and Marine blend in the engines that are not run on a daily basis. It was developed to "stick" (It has a better capillary action.) to all the surfaces it is in cantact with. It never runs off. The engine always has a film of oil inside it. Even after months of no use. The bearings never have a dry start. And no, I am not a distributor. Just a satified customer.

This has been my experience with it. Your results may vary. :)

·
Registered
787 Posts
The amsoil guy himself told me that he did not recommend using it in older engines with higher miles. He said if he knew I was going to use it in my Nomad he would have detered me from doing that.

Dave

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,699 Posts
My thoughts? Whee!
Load of hype.
Is it bad? No. Better than anybody else's synthetic oil? No. Just a fairly silly marketing scheme that reminds me of the old Amway stuff.
Oil companies can easily , subject their competitors products to spectrographic analysis. (The tire companies do this too, right onsite at a racetrack even). Thus there are no "secret" ingredients. I once talked to a Pennzoil technical rep who could tell you what additive Havoline was using in their oil that gave it a fairly unique "burnt" smell. He had it in a huge book and could tell you why they used it, in what proportions, and why other companies were not using it. And pretty much anything you wanted to know about anybody's oil currently on the market.
Amsoil reminds me a bit of the "Slick 50" lubes that were popular for a while. Slick 50 had Teflon in it. Big deal. Teflon is great stuff but not particularly useful in a motor oil. Thus the other oil companies notably did not jump on the teflon bandwagon. The Slick 50 people eventually got into trouble for making unfounded claims and the stuff has all but disappeared these days.
I've talked to a few Amsoil reps, one was a customer of mine that was adamant I use his products in his vehicle as it was serviced. Not a single rep (including him) I've met so far has demonstrated the slightest practical knowlege of how a motor vehicle actually functions. But all seem to have memorized the Amsoil promotional literature and can spout it off verbatim at the drop of a hat. Sort of like religious fanatics or something. There is a guy that has a nice write-up on the net though. Here. He seems careful not to say "our oil is better than other synthetics" though. Sensible sounding guy.
I am still not impressed.
Some folks might mention Amsoil lacks API certification. I have to say I wouldn't hold that against them. Evidently small and specialty manufacters of motor find it very difficult and expensive to keep up with API certifications.
BTW, the "leaking" thing with older engines has happened to a quite a few people who change from regular oil to synthetic. Other folks don't seem to experience it or it stops after a while. There are a numbers of theories as to why this happens but it isn't because the oils are any particular brand.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've used it for about 15 years now in everything I own. Starting using in a 90 Ranger @ 50,000 which had a lifter tick (I tried all the typical remedies to no avail) after a couple hundred miles tick went away and never came back. Traded it in with 130,000 for F150 when dealer took it for test drive he couldn't believe how well it ran. I also use it in my lawn equipment (mower, Ryobi weed eater) 10W-30 change the oil once a year neither use any oil all season long. Bought a new mower a couple years ago not because of engine problems but because the deck was shot. Not all synthetics are created equal most are created from further refined pretroleum, Amsoil is a true synthetic and best of all its made in the USA, so your not supporting the terrorists by using it. In reference to the Slick 50 comment they were trying to sell a product that would bind to the metal, teflon won't do that in the way Slick 50 said it would, Amsoil is a product that does what it says. Jet engines use synthetic oil and the oil never gets changed just the filters. Think about it if your not using a synthetic your behind the times and wearing out your engine.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would have to agree with jet mech on amsoil. I have used their products for over 20 years incuding in an E250 work van I switched to amsoil at 76,000 miles. I used that van until I sold it with 265,000 miles and it ran as well as the day I bought it and never burnt a drop of oil. There products are as good as they advertise, but I really don't see them advertise much. It seems to be mostly by word of mouth. I do usually change the oil and filter about every 10,000 miles in my company vans, it makes me sleep better.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I don't know what jets you are talking about because the oil does get changed at every 150HR inspection and when ever you have a TCTO(Time Compliance Tech Order)also. I was a jet engine mech in the USAF and worked on the A-10s.

Dave

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
What's the connection between jet engines and internal combustion engines?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've been useing amsoil for sometime and have never had an issue I could blame on the oil.
4 years ago or so Arctic cat was having issues with thier factory supplyed 2 stroke oil and requested that people use Amsoil in there product.it is good. it is just a ? if you want to use them or mobile or redline ect, ect. but i do believe that type of oil is the only way to go.

It is intresting if you do some digging to see who is useing thier (or anyone's) product.
There are companys like lube-tech www.lube-tech.com that buy base product from evenyone including Amsoil and will blend it to be what ever you want and put your name on it.
just think we could have VMF oil just for your mustang.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I find this info about Amsoil very interesting as i am considering running Amsoil in my Mustang. I have written them and they have advised me as to the correct oil to use in the 289. But I am a bit concerned about the leaking. So far the engine is dry of oil. I read where some here have had leaking and some have not. That certainly leaves me out on a limb. I will continue to mull this around a bit but rather than take a chance I may just continue on my current path and not change to Amsoil. Not because Amsoil is bad. I think it is great oil. But I don't want to start leaks. Oh what to do?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not on commercial jets, I've worked 727 (Pratt & Rolls Royce powered), 737 (Pratt & CFM powered), 747(Pratt), 757 (Pratt & Rolls), A320 (V2500), A300 (Pratt). Only time it gets changed is if something shows up on a chip detector or looks & smells burned (very rare). Just shows the durability of the oil.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My F150 has 150,000 on the odometer and doesn't leak a drop. Put it my sons 83 Conv V6 with 130,000 on it and it only leaks from the front main due to wear on the balancer,it was leaking there before putting the Amsoil in.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts