Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be in Indy beginning Thursday the 4th for the CEDIA trade show and have yet to make hotel reservations. I'm wondering if there's anyone here on the VMF that is from the area that could help me determine a better part ot town to stay in.

I will have a car, and will be driving in from Dayton, Ohio for the weekend. Just want to make sure that I'm not staying in a bad area.

Also wondering what the parking situation is down near the dome.

Thx. Kelly

·
Registered
10,170 Posts
My wife is a Volleyball coach and has stayed in Indy numerous times.
Parking down town near the dome is no problem. She said there was numerous places including some connected to the dome.
Hotels: The ones downtown are the more expensive ones (of course) but sometimes include parking, so check into that. Otherwise the Holiday Inn out by the airport is nice, she also added that any of the big chain motels would be pretty good. The airport though, is on the opposite end of town from Dayton. Also, the hotels in Speedway are all decent, that is on the north side of Indy. Don't miss going to the speedway museum. That will take about 2 hours to walk through, maybe less if you don't read every little thing.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Area around speedway is bad as I have been told . I stayed at a hotel off the interstate and the area was not too bad . Alot of trucks around since the hotel was right beside a truck stop . Room was fairly cheap , hotel rooms downtown are expensive but most connect to the dome via walkways that are above the road .
EDIT :
I just went and checked mapquest and looked for where I stayed . I stayed at a hotel that was right odff 465 on South Harding . It's south of the RCA Dome , you just gotta drive a couple streets (harding and Kentucky I think) north and they run almost slap into the dome . There exits right around Harding have alot of good places to eat also . We stayed there last year for 3 nights and nothing got messed with on the F-150 we had . I dunno about parking a classic car there , but I don't think your taking yours by the sound of it .

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been to the area a few times, and have always stayed out by the airport, since the trade show does have a shuttle set up. But then, I never had a car while there before. This time I can stay most anywhwere I desire ::

ALL the downtown hotels are sold out. Besides, I'm not much on $200+ per night. And yes, that's the low end of the gouge rate they will charge while the trade show is on. Same thing happens when I go to the electronics show in Vegas in January though, so I'm not surprised by it happening.

I'd fly into Indy and stay at the same old Days Inn dump (free breakfast=yuck), but I got this free round trip airfare to Dayton. And even with renting a car it comes out being cheaper. That, and I really hate to let AirTran off the hook for the free airline ticket (stranded me for 11 hours last year).

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
I lived in Indianapolis before moving to Cincinnati.
Indy is a great town, easy to get around. I lived on the
northside (Castleton area) which would be a nice area
to stay. Anywhere you stay just off of 465 should be fine
and only 30 minute or less drive to downtown.
The Mustang Club of Indianapolis has had shows out at
the Indy 500 track and has used hotels near the track
on Crawfordsville Rd toward 465 for out of town guests
with vintage stangs. You might check into the Speedway
hotel (at the Indy 500 track), might be a neat place
for you to stay.
Parking near the Dome downtown is no problem at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts