1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
12,155 Posts
Well I have their universal radiator, which also has the blue anodized neck. Does yours say Northern on the side? Haven't noticed any leaks, but I've only got it up to op temperature in my garage.. No leaks there with some soapy water either when pressure testing with a pump. Using a 16lbs cap though.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Don't know anything about this radiator but generally speaking, if it has a stamped (not billet)neck which is pressed into(not welded to)the tank, it is subject to leakage. That's why most high dollar rads have welded, billet necks.
If you have one & it is leaking, you can take it to a shop & have them heli-arc it to the tank.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Wouldn't every tank ever made be individual in its workmanship? If they were made out of a mold I could see comparing them but it just seems that no other tank could represent the integrity of another. The tank looks like a GREAT PRICE.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
erbssr has it correct. When I first saw the tank I was kinda worried that the blue neck was not welded.
I think Ill have to give my welder "Dave" a call if he hasnt passed away, that is.
I know on all four other Mustangs I have a "Be Cool" radiator with the filler neck completley welded.
Oh, and yes, it is a Northern radiator, I think Summit has changed it to their own brand now.
I guess thats what I get for going cheap. Anyway, the only problem that might occure is that the aluminum neck might be too thin to weld.........thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
JohnnyK said:
Oh, so yours IS leaking? I thought you were just a potential buyer.. But nope, mines not leaking as I said.
So...you went cheap and all is fine, me too. Age ole wifes tale. If it is cheap and leaks people talk about it , If it is expensive and leaks no one talks about it.

I would use JB weld on a neck.

·
Registered
12,155 Posts
Not sure if I'd call it 'cheap', since it's just a rebranded (Not even) Northern.. I'd call it getting a better price on a more expensive radiator. I like looking through the summit catalogue and looking at two identical pictures, one being the Summit brand :D

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Mtrain said:
Anyway, the only problem that might occure is that the aluminum neck might be too thin to weld.........thanks for the replies.
If you think the neck may be too thin, you can buy a billet neck at Summit or Jegs & have it welded on.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
If the neck material is .030-.045", it shouldn't be a problem welding it with argon GTAW and a 1/16" electrode. The anodic coating will have to go, in the weld zone at least.

I was looking at one of these for the D-coder. Nice to hear about their potential weak points.

Pat

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all of the replies. Cammachinist, Ill pass on your welding info to my welder, IF, he is still alive that is.........

1 - 13 of 13 Posts