Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just spent the last couple weeks "back home", at my parents place in Oregon, and spent some one-on-one time with my 66 hardtop. Wasn't pretty, she hasn't aged well in the last 10 years. I did a partial disassembly to start a restoration and was relocated, via short notice, to the heartland and at the time didn't have the $ to bring it along and wasn't sure where I would keep it. The 4 years we lived in Miami has revisited us in the form of rust in some areas of what was a rust free car. That salt air gets everywhere.

Has anyone had a car dipped in the midwest. I heard there was a place in Ohio but I was hoping to keep it closer to Iowa. I have a friend in Oregon, who also happens to be well known for his custom hotrods who can get it dipped and do the metal work for me but he is not in my price range. I'm affraid if I can't find something a little closer/cheaper I may have to sell.

Sounds corny but it was my first car, SWMBO and I first dated in this car right after I bought it, newborn daughter came home from the hospital in it, you know, those sort of memories. Believe it or not, SWMBO is the driver behind getting this thing done! Ya, shocked me, too. :D

Heard of any places?

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Yes, I dipped my 65 coupe. I wouldn't do it again. It removes all seam sealer throughout the car. My next restoration will be media blasted. Check out the pics on my web site listed in my signature.

It is more expensive and you'll have to make sure you remove everything first (including the rear end, etc.). Don't dip the door with the data tag (the rivets will be eaten off).

There was a place in IL at one time. The place here is gone (Riverside, MO).

I really wouldn't do it.... :)

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Did I mention that I REALLY wouldn't dip a car again???? :: :: :: ::

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had considered media blasting but I'm concerned about the corrosion that can't be reached with media blasting. Such as the frame rails. I will need to replace the rear quarters, and I will dismantle the cowl to take a peek, but what about rockers, "A" posts and other areas that can't be seen? My bodyman has a method of treating the enclosed areas after dipping but how is the area stripped without dipping?

Thanks for responding. I hope to gain enough knowledge in an area that I have never had to deal with in the past. One thing I'm hoping to avoid is going back in after completion to fix rust that has reappeared do to incomplete prep.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
por-15 it. spray the stuff where you cant get at the rust and it will nutralize it. ::

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Yea, I'd treat the hard to reach places that I didn't replace with POR 15. This is what my coupe looked like after it was dipped. http://home.swbell.net/lornew/65afterdip.JPG Notice the holes in the firewall, floor and trunk drop offs. Here is a short list of what I replaced:full frame rails, trunk drop offs, panel between rear seat and gas tank, rear trunk brace, inner & outer tubs, full quarters, tail light panel, side cowls, cowls, fire wall extensions on both sides, innner rocker panels, inner floor frame supports, floor boards (all including the back under the back seat), seat risers and battery apron. We also had to fabricate some pieces of the floor around the tubs to get them to fit, as well as some patches like the inner shock tower to frame patch.

In addition, since I mentioned it, you'll have to re-seam seal every seal in the car including the drip rails, all welds and anywhere else there is seam sealer. In addition, you'll find little things like the nuts that hold your windshield wiper arms in place under the dash are held in with seam sealer. If your lucky, you'll find them all and then you can stick your finger through the dash with a piece of tape and JB Weld on them and put them back in, otherwise, your at the junk yard pounding some out (been there, done that, bought the T-shirt).

Did I mention how I would never dip a car again!!?!?!?!?! :) :)

http://home.swbell.net/lornew/65rebuild.JPG

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, would you dip a car again? JK ::

Maybe I should ask, then, if there is a somewhat local place, within a few hundred miles, that specializes in media blasting?

Think I better brush up on this POR-15 stuff.

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
I had my fastback done over at Media Stripping on Broadway and they did a good job and they were cheap from what I remember... 244-7263 is their number...

Haven't used them in a LONG time, but you might check them out...

-bob

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, Bob. I'll give them a call Monday.
I thought you would be in Omaha this weekend!

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
If you guy up there cannot do it there is a place in KC Ks. called Eagle Auto strippers. They did my hood and a truck cab for my renter and the work was great...

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I use Eagle as well. They have always done a good job.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts