Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finalizing my plans for my T5 swap and am down to whether or not to convert to cable clutch. I know the cable clutch works better than the stock setup and several of you have said you are using them quite happily so I will most likely go with it. My only concern is how the install looks under the hood (trying to keep things nice and tidy under there). A guy in one of the local Mustang clubs told me the cable runs from the firewall almost all the way to the radiator (over the exhaust manifold), turns and goes to the tranny(under the exhaust manifold). I am not sure if this is correct or even if it is a problem...just wondered what it looked like.

I appreciate everyone who has helped with all my questions about this t5 swap. Hopefully I am not driving everyone nuts about this because I am sure I will have more questions before I am done.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Here is a link to my own cable conversion. If you have trouble send me a PM and I can send you the pics.
http://home1.gte.net/web105k5/rtm/RTM_cable_clutch.htm

The pics are hosted by a fellow mustanger and will be removed some time in the near future. I hope to have my own site set up by then.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
The typical clutch cable setup exits the firewall just above the master cylinder. If the stock clutch cable is left the original length, it will go just past the center of the shock tower. I shortened my cable to better clear my headers. I took 17" out of the cable which was an improvement. I found a cable end from McMaster/Carr which could be installed with no special tools to replace the end that was cut off.

In either case, the cable will be visible and immediately obvious to those familiar with Mustangs. It does make adding brake fluid more of a pain.

With all of that said, I would do it again in a minute.

Sorry I don't have a picture.

I have heard of a system that utilizes the stock clutch rod hole, but in either case, you will have a cable looping through the engine compartment.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Hey Chris, how did you cut the sheathing of the cable and reconnect to the end fitting? does it just slip in?

What is the part number for the cable connection?... I've got a Steeda cable and it's a snake..just like you said.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts