Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any VMFer added a third brake light to a '65 or '66 fastback? I get a little concerned that the guy/gal behind me on the cell phone is so used to seeing a third brake light that I'm vulnerable to rear-ending without one. If anyone has added one, what materials did you use, how did you do it and how did it turn out?

Thanks

Pete

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
i have the same fears,we have the kids in the back seat of our 70 mach1 pretty often.
NationalPartsDepot has a set of LED tail lights for 65-70 stangs. they are 160 bucks a set, but if they are brighter,i would think it would have to help the cell phone talker notice you.
i've looked around a few local junkyards for third brakelights. i havn't found just what i'm looking for yet..of course i don't really know what i'm looking for. i think when i get around to putting a third brake light in , i'm going to use one of the ones the goes on the in side of the back glass... just have to figure out a bracket the looks taistful and with out gutting the interior panels too badly.......... even if it doesn't turn out great,it's gotta be better than being ran over by a F-350 :0) jace

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I've been thinking of using this one http://www.jcwhitney.com/wcsstore/jcwhitney/images/imagecache/I31.gif
from JCWhitney. It's worth throwing $10 at to check out

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Keep in mind, it's not as simple as tossing a light back there. Our old stangs don't have brake light wires, just a blinker wire going to each side. They both come on solid for brakes. If you were to simply wire into one or both of these wires, the 3rd brake light would flash with the blinker! You need an electronic logic module that looks at both blinker signals and has the smarts to figure out when to turn on the brake light. Warning: JCWhitney sells such a module, but it doesn't work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts