Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a bit of an issue with the company that replaced my tires and ruined my studs, and had to have a few of the studs replaced; at no small cost, of course. In order to get them to pay for the repair (which they already agreed to, but are now balking) I need to get a diagram so I can show why it costs so darn much to repair these stupid axles. To be honest, the tire shop is lucky that the axles were still servicable.

So does anyone have an exploded view of the rear axle? The Versaille is a unique beast.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
I don't understand the need for a diagram simply because your studs were replaced. If they are too stupid to see the problem themselves a diagram won't help.

Give them the bill for the studs and demand to be paid. How much was the bill? Were both axles affected?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Changing wheel studs on a Versailles can quickly turn into $100 per axle. :shrug:

To replace the studs on a Versailles, you have to press the retainer plate and bearing off each axle. Not enough room to r&r the studs with the retainer plate on... This adds $50/axle for the bearing plus press labor - and while you've got it apart, you might as well replace both inner & outer seals. MAKE SURE you use a COMPETENT shop - they cannot use the brittle cast retainer plate to push against the bearing - it will break, and those retainers are made of unobtanium! :bitch:

Good link for Versailles info - might help the original poster as it mentions the bearing retainer/stud problem early in the article. http://www.hetclub.com/disc/brakes.htm

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
Those are good sites.

They give me a better idea on what I have to do to get my 10x2.5 inch drum brakes to fit on the Versailles 9 inch I bought.

·
Registered
373 Posts
If you have a good sized library in town you can go to the referance aection, they usually have many motor manuals which you could copy a page with a blow up of the axle and retainers. The manual might even describe what must be done to replace a wheel stud!
This rear end came in the Lincoln Versallies as well as the Mercury Monark and Ford Granada if they had the handling package.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts