Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In this following link to an article there are actually 2 pictures of 3 element tail lights Ford had considered using for the 66 year model(evidently the bean counters said no). I would insert the photos here, but the direct link is broken, so you will need to click the link and scroll the photos to see what I am talking about:

Mustang Concepts You Need to See

Obviously these tailights never made it into production, but I really like them over the ones that did...I was hoping that someone with more general automotive knowledge could tell me what the lenses are from? Did Ford make them just for a concept? Or did they(more likely) pull them from some other application? Since I have to put in a new tailight panel anyway, I would very much like to re-create these tailights for my car...it would be a nice subtle change.

One of the pictures is the (nightmist?) blue fastback, the other one is in black and white

Maybe its a factory lens cut into 3 pieces with some custom trim?

·
Premium Member
9,541 Posts
If we're looking at the same photo (dark blue 2+2 GT) those taillights look like the '69 lights. 3 individual vertical bars that protrude through 3 individual slots in the panel.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,382 Posts
Somebody has them. They weren't destroyed. Seems like they were featured
in a magazine fairly recently. Several photos of the bare, un-installed items.
I was surprised to see them intact. Jerry Heasley maybe?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,551 Posts
Somebody has them. They weren't destroyed. Seems like they were featured
in a magazine fairly recently. Several photos of the bare, un-installed items.
I was surprised to see them intact. Jerry Heasley maybe?
I remember that too, but not sure where or if Heasley had anything to do with it. They were concept only, and only a few made.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If we're looking at the same photo (dark blue 2+2 GT) those taillights look like the '69 lights. 3 individual vertical bars that protrude through 3 individual slots in the panel.
They are similar...but the 66 version angles outward in the middle instead of inward just like the production ones

I wonder if whoever owns the remaining ones would be willing to get a mold made? I suppose though I can just cut up some lenses and fab the bezels from scratch and them get them chromed. Does anyone by chance have any more up close pictures of these? Cant make out a huge amount of details in those

·
Registered
8,901 Posts
I did a write-up a 6 years ago on these in a Thread on another forum...

See here:

Login

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
693 Posts
That four door Mustang is... interesting. Years ago, I would've thought that was crazy but after seeing things like the Porsche Panamera, Aston Martin Rapide, and Teslas, it doesn't seem that far fetched.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That four door Mustang is... interesting. Years ago, I would've thought that was crazy but after seeing things like the Porsche Panamera, Aston Martin Rapide, and Teslas, it doesn't seem that far fetched.
Back when I was modifying 1st gen(95-99) Dodge Neons...I always opted for the 2 door version(2nd gens were 4 door only)...but I saw a lot of nice 4 doors that made me think twice about it. The 4 door muscle car thing still feel quite right...although some 4 door Novas do look good.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Yes there were more than one or two sets made . IIRC they were actually made in '64 and they had prototype part numbers on them. It is difficult to believe the die casting molds for the lens and surround are still around after 55 years. There was also a large stamped steel "bucket" similar to 67-68 or 69-70. That would be another tough score. Many years ago there was a complete set that sold on epay for well over 1,000 by my memory. Couldn't hurt to put a wanted post out there and see if you get a bite.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
I was thinking the same thing- I thought I recalled seeing them on Fleabay as well. Although cool, I'd like to see a functional set made that uses they existing hole, like the Shelby lights didi. That way there's less tail panels getting hacked up! lol

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was thinking the same thing- I thought I recalled seeing them on Fleabay as well. Although cool, I'd like to see a functional set made that uses they existing hole, like the Shelby lights didi. That way there's less tail panels getting hacked up! lol
That's a tall order considering there is actual space between the lenses like a 67 has....the tail light panel would already have to be both cut and strips welded in. So, I am going to say its more modifying than hacking...speaking of hacking and Shelby's....those cars had some hacked up tail light panels...lol, they weren't exactly precise when cutting them for the lights. I have found a way forward though to make a set of these fabbing them from scratch...going with the bezel shape from the 66 bezels, just split into 3 different bezels that will use studs instead of screws for attachment. It shouldn't be too difficult to fab the bezels out of 1/4" steel then have them chromed...lenses will be dead easy...just cut a stock lens to fit. Easy...but tedious and will require precision to duplicate(or sextuplicate it) it 6 times...I actually have aluminum I could use, but will be far easier to work with steel instead, since I have no CnC and will be welding a lot. Once nice thing though...is that it can be upgraded to 3 bulbs per side to put out some real light.

·
Registered
8,901 Posts
Yes, The "Write-Up" is STILL on the "Concours-Mustang Forum". Sign-up...and you'll be able to read it...but not be able to post until you are "Verified"...as a user. Next to this Forum, and the SAAC Forum, It's one of the best Classic Mustang Forums on the web....but don't forget....It's "Concours"...so be careful what you post!...lol..

Tony K.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, The "Write-Up" is STILL on the "Concours-Mustang Forum". Sign-up...and you'll be able to read it...but not be able to post until you are "Verified"...as a user. Next to this Forum, and the SAAC Forum, It's one of the best Classic Mustang Forums on the web....but don't forget....It's "Concours"...so be careful what you post!...lol..

Tony K.
Haha...yeah, I have never been even close to concours correct in my approach to most of of my cars, but that is ok since I just buy plain Jane coupes that aren't anything special to begin with. Even my Rx7 project has parts from Ford, Volvo, BMW, Dodge and various other manufacturers. Modifications don't bother me...its why I find Cuban cars so fascinating...those guys will take any parts from anything to keep their 50 year old cars running...its not like they have any choice, but the ingenuity they show is pretty amazing.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I did register for concours mustang forum...but they have some rather tough entry questions, we will see if I got them right(I answered from old memory, didn't google them) about rather rare models...I know they are filtering out bots, but seems pretty unfair for those new to the vintage mustang world. However, nothing can be as hard as getting onto the Turboford forum...that place has the toughest screening process I have ever seen...it took me months to be able to post on there.

On a different front I cut up a factory bezel that was in pretty horrible shape between chrome bubbling and deep scratches. The idea in my head was to cut out the center bezel and then fill in the sides with some steel...imagine my surprise when I found out the factory piece was cast aluminum...ruined that idea...however there are other possibilities ....since I have this center piece cut out I can just take some measurements, make a CAD file and get these machined out of billet aluminum...I would just fab them from scratch from steel, but there are certain aspects that make that difficult to repeat 6 times in a consistent manner...the time invested would cost more than just getting them machined.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Playing with making a CAD file to get these machined...still have a ways to go, but pricing looks acceptable if I have a few sets made and sell a couple to recoup the cost:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Think anyone would be interested in buying a set if I get these made? Almost finished with the design now, just seeing if its worth getting more than one set made.

Attachments

·
Registered
850 Posts
Are you going to leave the outside corners sharp or radius them to flow with the inside?

The lenses will be fun to attach. I like the direction you're going in. They should turn out nice.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I have tried it both ways...the 2nd picture the outside does have a radius...just .050", I did try it with a radius better matched to the inside, but the program pretty much forces me to apply it to the bottom vertical edge as well where it mates to the tail light panel, which would look horrible...besides, if I applied that same radius to the outside, it would take away too much material to allow any decent sized hole for mounting studs in the back...as it is, those mounting holes are .5" deep 10-24 threaded in the interest of making it easy to find hardware that wont easily snap off because of over-tightening, so far the best compromise I have come up with is the 2nd picture. As for lens mounting...as far as I can figure you should be able to take a stock lens, cut it down, and sand it to shape on a belt sander...then simply install it flush with the bezel using silicone both as the seal and as the adhesive, I am sure I will tweak it more as I go.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts