Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys ...

It's time for me to intall the front and rear glass so I am looking for some advice from you seasoned veterans. It is a 1970 so the back has the gasket and the front does not.

Front- What sealent is best to use? Ribbon or Urethane?

Back- What about the sealant? Bedding and glazing? Is it best to install the glass then seal it or seal it before?

Thanks!!

Steve

·
Registered
180 Posts
When I replaced my headliner I watched the guy put the glass back in so you benefit from my observations.....Here is how he put the rear back in.....

Place the glass on a stand of some sort and put the gasket around the glass........

While the glass is still on the table take a piece of rope (it appeared to be the size of clothesline) and put it in the opposite groove all the way around and tape each end to the inside "side" of the glass.

Install the molding clips on the car if they were removed

Using a caulking gun place about a 1/2 bead of glazing compound all the way around the top side of the weld (where the glass sits on)

Now take the glass and place it on top of the glazing compound...Rope taped ends down remember.....Wiggle just a little to distribute the compund.......

Now go inside the car and lay on your back (a fold down seat is nice here) Untape both ends of the rope and carefully pull the rope in one direction causing the gasket to pop over the weld....Do this all the way around and the gasket should be all the way around the weld....Be careful with the rope if your interior is done as there will most likely be glazing compund on this......

Now go back outside the car and you should see an even distribution of glazing compound oozing from the bottom...If you have a spot where there is none push down on the glass and you may even have to "smack" the glass fairly hard for it to distribute.....

Once you are happy with that then it is time for cleanup.....Spray glass cleaner on the oozed wet glazing compound to neutralize it....You can now carefully scrape it flush with the gasket (repeat on the inside)

Re-apply the rear window molding and you may have to re-scrape when dry if there is additional oozing......

As for the windshield I have not done one of these....Hope the above helps though......

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Machsters got it down.
Might I suggest getting a buddy to gently push on the outside of the gals while you pull the string on the inside.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I'll be having the glass company come to my house and install them. After seeing the job they did on my Marauder and the relative inexpense, to me it's a no brainer.

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
Rich: was this an original Maurader, or the newer version? If the latter, why did you have to replace the glass so soon?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
This was my 2003 Marauder.
I was traveling northbound, when a southbound truck decided it no longer needed a hunk of concrete on it. Took out my windshield. Had to change my shorts ,too. ::

·
Registered
122 Posts
i suggest paying a professional to do it. for what i was charged it was well worth not doing it myself on my 70 mach1. that way if it gets screwed up they have to fix it hehe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts