Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,189 Posts
Looks like an adapter for use in a Mustang when you have the wrong transmission.
Not necessarily. Could be for someone who prefers a short throw with the active fulcrum directly below the lever/knob and within easy reach (like most modern sports cars have), or someone with limited reach (like me, football injury), or both. My first ever thread here at VMF was prompted by this very topic. I did a great deal of research on the various after-market remote shifters available. None I found satisfactory for one reason or another, sometimes cost (like this $700 one is). In the end I ended up making one of my own design. The jury (me) is still out on whether it will work or not. I believe it will work just fine but must wait to install it to find out.
When the time comes I'll post a thread/review (and pics) of my contraption, good or bad. :nerd:

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not necessarily. Could be for someone who prefers a short throw with the active fulcrum directly below the lever/knob and within easy reach (like most modern sports cars have), or someone with limited reach (like me, football injury), or both. My first ever thread here at VMF was prompted by this very topic. I did a great deal of research on the various after-market remote shifters available. None I found satisfactory for one reason or another, sometimes cost (like this $700 one is). In the end I ended up making one of my own design. The jury (me) is still out on whether it will work or not. I believe it will work just fine but must wait to install it to find out.
When the time comes I'll post a thread/review (and pics) of my contraption, good or bad. :nerd:
nice looking forward to seeing it . im debating on buying that one i have a bumbed shoulder and would help alot having the shifter much closer to me . im still looking around to see if there is any other option out there

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
$700??? pffffffft. I think the premium is for its low profile design that hides in the tunnel i guess.
Search for "remote shifter." I don't easily see one with a price right now but I thought they could be had for well under $200. I have seen quite a few on classic type race cars with a T5. They shorten the throw as well.
I think of getting one every time I drive since I installed SN95 seats farther back than stock to accommodate my legs and arms better.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,189 Posts
$700??? pffffffft. I think the premium is for its low profile design that hides in the tunnel i guess.
Search for "remote shifter." I don't easily see one with a price right now but I thought they could be had for well under $200. I have seen quite a few on classic type race cars with a T5. They shorten the throw as well.
I think of getting one every time I drive since I installed SN95 seats farther back than stock to accommodate my legs and arms better.
I believe that particular shifter, "RESTOMOD", went out of production a few years ago, a market failure. It sold through/by Mustangs Plus. Even when it was available I didn't want it despite the $200 price tag. When you think of the punishment a shifter must take and shrug off/survive I couldn't see that design configuration as likely to hold up for very long.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts