Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am missing the cover that holds the gasket to the firewall around the heater core and evaporator on my 69. I have been trying to track one down and I did actually order one. When I got it the holes for the evaporator were diagonal and would not fit around the evaporator. From what i can tell it looks like 67\68 cars had this kind of cover but 69\70 cars had holes that were vertical for the evaporator to fit through. So I am trying to figure out which is the correct one for my car so I can look around for one to purchase. It has proved to be a hard part for me to come across.. So if anyone has pics or can send me some so I know what to look for that would be great.. Or if anyone has some extra covers they want to get rid of I'd be interested.
Thanks,

·
Registered
102 Posts
Is it a big-block car? If so, they can be a hard one to find. I cut mine to fit and just globed the clay stuff to cover it up.

Jim

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally the car was a 351.. It now has a 390 in it. However I am starting to even question if it originally came with A\C or if some PO decided to try and add it somewhere in its life. The reason I wonder is because the hole in the firewall looks like someone hacked it to fit the A/C box and some of the holes for mounting the A/C box were still pluged with metal tabs. You can see what I am talking about in these pics..
http://www.unknownstuntman.com/files/ACheater/

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I just sent you some pics

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I wish manyc would have put the photos on the site, as I also have a 69 big block car with a/c. But yeah, looks like a home hack job to me. A BADDDD one at that.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I am gonna try to get my grinder in there with a cutoff wheel and grinding stone to try and clean that hack job up.. Chris thanks for the pics.. The one I got last week actually had two holes instead of one big hole. I'll have to see if I can track one of these down.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Believe it or not that may be a factory hack job, except for the silicone sealer. That's how they modified the firewall for A/C cars. big block or not they are all the same.

I'm out of webspace for my site, so I have some decisions to make before to long. I can send some pics. Just let me know what you need.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Aaron, I would just clean the folded metal up and leave the rest alone. The 2 piece cover plates should hide the mess. You don't wnat to accidentally remove too much firewall.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Believe it or not that may be a factory hack job, except for the silicone sealer. That's how they modified the firewall for A/C cars. big block or not they are all the same.
I sent you pictures of my 70. Got to admit, it doesn't look much better. Only thing I didn't get is a picture of the rubber gasket, but it looks like you have that.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool thanks for the tips.. I hear ya on cutting out too much. I palnned on doing exactly what you said.. Cut off the folded metal and smooth things out a bit..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts