Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to finish out my trunk. I don't want to buy one of those overpriced kits. Mainly need dimensions/template to put thin plywood and carpet in the trunk covering the wheel well drops and the section in front of the back seats.

I searched all through this forum and either the pictures expired for someone that did do it themselves, or people just bought kits.

I tried to use cardboard, but I cannot get the quarter panel sections right.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I am looking to finish out my trunk. I don't want to buy one of those overpriced kits. Mainly need dimensions/template to put thin plywood and carpet in the trunk covering the wheel well drops and the section in front of the back seats.

I searched all through this forum and either the pictures expired for someone that did do it themselves, or people just bought kits.

I tried to use cardboard, but I cannot get the quarter panel sections right.
Do you know how to scribe? It should not be too tough to get the curve if you scribe it after cutting the general shape, cut the general shape, scribe it, then if its too short elsewhere just glue some more cardboard on top with a hot glue gun to get a finished template to trace onto whatever you are making the floor out of.

here is a video on scribing...meant for sheetrock, but the same principle applies to any template you are making or piece you are fitting....scribing will make the piece smaller of course...which is where gluing more cardboard onto it comes in. Scribe each wheelwell piece, then glue a center piece to those 2 scribed sections.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
When I built panels for a 68 Camaro I had, I used carboard and made the templates for the sides in multiple sections. It would be really hard to make one template that would fit perfect.

Start with the rear section by the wheel housing and make one piece that covers that area. Get the general shape and start trimming in small bites till it fits. Then tape it in place and move on to the middle section and when it's right, tape it to the other piece. Then move on to the rear piece. Once it's taped together, you might need to make a test panel out of something like 1/4" MDF just to make sure you can slide it in place without any issues. Once that fits, you can either cover that 1/4" MDF or make a final piece out of 1/2" MDF and cover it.

Make sure to leave a bit of room for whatever material you'll be using to cover it with. This is what I wound up with in that car. That was the first time I ever tried it and I thought it came out ok.

Reactions: 2+2=GT350

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That didn't come out ok, that came out amazing. I think that was what I was doing wrong, trying to do it all in one huge piece.

I'll try again this weekend on just the left quarter panel and see if I can do that.

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
My wife gave me one of those little template makers that you just push into a corner, a curve, a notch, or whatever and it copies it exactly to be transferred to your work. Harbor Fright, Lowez, or Home Deepockets, maybe even Wallet-Mart may have one in the hardware section.

·
Dimples
4,863 Posts
This is one of those things that I would end up doing myself just because it'd be fun and the materials are pretty forgiving. Have fun with it and show us the process. Who knows, maybe you can be the origin of the templates that the rest of us use. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a '66 convertible. There is only a filler board on the left hand side of the trunk from the factory correct? I saw in the "tips/tricks" thread that it could be flipped over and used on the right hand side as well. I presume it didn't come with a board for the right hand side since the spare tire covered the well?

I would be glad to take some measurements of my new reproduction LH trunk filler board when i get it back from the convertible top shop but I can't help with the back seat.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is one of those things that I would end up doing myself just because it'd be fun and the materials are pretty forgiving. Have fun with it and show us the process. Who knows, maybe you can be the origin of the templates that the rest of us use. :)
No Freeloaders! Oh wait, that's what I wanted...

Reactions: BlakeTX
1 - 8 of 8 Posts