Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,970 Posts
Luck of the draw I guess. Mine has been running fine for over a year now. It will be moving to my new engine soon.
I've had good results as well. I think I've used the FlowKooler pumps on 3 different cars, and nothing bad to report. It's too bad people don't speak up as often when everything is working OK, as much as happens when problems arise . I think that's just normal. Even so, there's no good way to know how pervasive an issue is with any one manufacturer..

Z

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I've had good results as well. I think I've used the FlowKooler pumps on 3 different cars, and nothing bad to report. It's too bad people don't speak up as often when everything is working OK, as much as happens when problems arise . I think that's just normal. Even so, there's no good way to know how pervasive an issue is with any one manufacturer..

Z
Hey, no problems here. Granted it's not well seasoned but it's been probably 8 or 9 months with 4500 miles? Something like that.

It won't cure all overheating woes but it did lower my operating temp a few degrees (maybe 5ish). It's looking like as long as it's not crap out of the box, people seem to have decent luck with them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is my first post on this forum; so much information available just by searching that most of my technical questions have been answered.

While I can't add anything to the quality of the FlowKooler water pump discussion, the data point I do have is that I had ordered one early February knowing they were back ordered until February 22... I could wait a couple of weeks. February 23rd comes and I get a notification that they are now back ordered until April 12th. This leads me to believe things aren't running as smoothly as they should over at FlowKooler.

Anyhow, April 12th is too long for me to wait so I'll be moving on to something else (probably one of the below options).

1966 FORD MUSTANG GMB High-Performance Water Pumps 125-1420P
or
Edelbrock Victor Series High-Performance Street Mechanical Water Pumps 8841

The GMB has great reviews on Summit and the Edelbrock has great reviews on this thread. The price difference is significant at 4x for the Edelbrock.

I hope FlowKooler gets things straightened out as their product at ~$120 was filling a middle ground price option.

Eric Q.
1966 A-Code Coupe

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I've used the Edelbrock Victor water pumps on three different engines and have never had a problem. One was a reverse rotation and the other two were standard rotation. The impellers are billet steel and not the stamped sheet metal that other pumps use. They also use a larger diameter shaft and better bearings.

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
This is my first post on this forum; so much information available just by searching that most of my technical questions have been answered.

While I can't add anything to the quality of the FlowKooler water pump discussion, the data point I do have is that I had ordered one early February knowing they were back ordered until February 22... I could wait a couple of weeks. February 23rd comes and I get a notification that they are now back ordered until April 12th. This leads me to believe things aren't running as smoothly as they should over at FlowKooler.

Anyhow, April 12th is too long for me to wait so I'll be moving on to something else (probably one of the below options).

1966 FORD MUSTANG GMB High-Performance Water Pumps 125-1420P
or
Edelbrock Victor Series High-Performance Street Mechanical Water Pumps 8841

The GMB has great reviews on Summit and the Edelbrock has great reviews on this thread. The price difference is significant at 4x for the Edelbrock.

I hope FlowKooler gets things straightened out as their product at ~$120 was filling a middle ground price option.

Eric Q.
1966 A-Code Coupe
Which Flowkooler part number are you looking at that is back ordered until April? If the two linked water pumps are indicative of your setup, 289-351w with the water outlet on the passenger side and standard rotation, why don’t you just get the Flowkooler 1681? The estimated ship date shows as tomorrow if you ordered it today or even up until about 6pm tomorrow night PST. I’ve had this same water pump on my 351w with 450hp for 7 years now and without any issues at all. Knock on wood. If this is the water pump you’re referring to, it’s also available and in stock from Mustangs Unlimited.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bra-1681/overview/

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies.

I had ordered the cast iron one (bra-1681ci) simply cuz that's what's currently on the car... hadn't thought about going with the aluminum one but I'll check it out.

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies.

I had ordered the cast iron one (bra-1681ci) simply cuz that's what's currently on the car... hadn't thought about going with the aluminum one but I'll check it out.
Heck no. Aluminum over cast iron any day of the week IMO. They're lighter and dissipate heat much more easily than the cast iron will. It's a similar analogy with aluminum vs cast iron cylinder heads. Plus the aluminum is in stock, ready to ship and it's even $2 cheaper :grin2::grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
33,912 Posts
I still like these...

"Engineered for maximum cooling performance and reliability in all applications. Whether it be the increased cooling demands of high performance high horsepower or street rod cruising or towing and RV, Milodon has a High Performance Water Pump for your application.

Milodon High Volume water pumps feature balanced distribution and improved efficiency, close tolerance impellers that increase coolant flow up to 30%. This increases the pressure within the block to help prevent hot spots and steam pockets, as well as, improve coolant flow through the radiator. A nonrestrictive, high flow thermostat is highly recommended to enable the Milodon High Volume water pump to work to its highest capability.

All Milodon High Performance water pumps start with new, high quality steel or aluminum castings, that use large diameter shafts and heavy duty bearings. All pumps are direct factory replacements equipped with all hose connections and bosses. All Milodon Performance water pumps are protected by Milodon's 100% satisfaction guarantee."

·
Registered
24 Posts
lol, everything you say makes sense MUSTANG65FBK.

Oh, Bart, don't add more variables to my equation... as someone that suffers from analysis paralysis, that can have me stymied for days. :) The 100% satisfaction guarantee seems better than what folks have been reporting with FlowKooler support. I'll check it out and make a decision tonight.

·
Premium Member
12,970 Posts
Not all aluminum water pumps are interchangeable with an original cast iron water pump. Depends on things like does your water pump have a backing plate, and what type of timing cover do you have. Nothing wrong with a cast iron water pump. All things being equal, Your car is not going run cooler with the aluminum pump, nor will you be quicker with all that weight savings

;)

Z

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
Not all aluminum water pumps are interchangeable with an original cast iron water pump. Depends on things like does your water pump have a backing plate, and what type of timing cover do you have. Nothing wrong with a cast iron water pump. All things being equal, Your car is not going run cooler with the aluminum pump, nor will you be quicker with all that weight savings

;)

Z
Wouldn't your car run cooler with an aluminum high flow water pump? I'd have to think the aluminum would make it run cooler, especially a higher flowing one as compared to cast iron. And no doubt it's not going to be quicker with the aluminum. That being said... I'm all for shaving off weight, especially in the front end where it's not needed. A few pounds here and a few pounds there will add up over time, especially if moving the battery to the trunk, using an aluminum intake, carb, heads and other weight saving pieces. I know that some water pumps come with shims and whatnot, I guess I had success with my Flowkooler water pump and the original style timing cover.

·
Premium Member
12,970 Posts
the low end of a cars coolant operating temperature is set by the thermostat, not the material of the water pump, or any other part of the car.

I don't believe that the high end of the temperature range is going to be affected one way or the other by a very few inches of aluminum, or cast iron. Just an opinion.

Z

·
Registered
113 Posts
I put a FlowKooler water pump on my 302 about a month ago. so far, so good. No mechanical issues, but I did receive the wrong one the first time. Seems somebody put a reverse rotation pump in a standard rotation box. Summit overnighted a replacement to me. :smile2:

Haven't noticed a major change yet, but will wait to hot weather hits us this summer. Will know for sure then. Seems to be more responsive at low RPM so far.

Gary

·
Registered
112 Posts
My brother ordered an aluminum FlowKooler for the engine I'm putting in his car. Its got about 200mi on it now and so far its been just fine. Standard rotation 1681 as linked above.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Since my post last May, I've put another 5000 miles on the car and so far the Flowkooler hasn't fallen apart.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts