Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
Try kaspersky or some other anti virus /add block program .Yes it would be nice if whoever is incharge of that sort of thing would fix it but sometimes you just gotta do it yourself on your own end

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Same issues

·
Registered
761 Posts
This site performs fine for me usually. On rare occasion it bogs down. I've done 2 things that help block the ads. First, I've installed a special domain name lookup file called "Hosts" that resolves hundreds of undesirable web names to a "zero" address. This change alone improves the internet experience tremendously. The file is normally located in the folder: "c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc". You can only see this folder if you can view hidden and operating system files. You can read about this here: Blocking Unwanted Connections with a Hosts File

The second thing I've done is to install the free ad blocking software called: Adblock Plus. You can search for an ad blocker for the browser you use.

·
Registered
8,444 Posts
Ad Block Plus is the only way to make VMF usable. Big improvement
since I started using it.
I'd stay away from anything Kaspersky makes. They plead innocent
but our DOD intel computer guys told me "don't do it" as recently as
2010 when I was still in. No reason to believe anything has changed,
as far as I'm concerned.....

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'd stay away from anything Kaspersky makes. They plead innocent
but our DOD intel computer guys told me "don't do it" as recently as
2010 when I was still in. No reason to believe anything has changed,
as far as I'm concerned.....

This helped greatly, thanks!

·
Registered
150 Posts
You can get VMF's pages to load faster by tweaking how you view the site.

In the red banner click on User CP.

Down the left side of the page under User Control Panel click on Edit Options.

Scroll down the page to Thread Display Options.

Under Visible Post Elements:

Uncheck "Show Signatures"

Uncheck "Show Avatars"

(Loading those pictures slows down the loading of page. Eliminating them speeds things up.)

Leave "Show Images" checked. That let's you see photos that members post.

Scroll further down to Miscellaneous Options.

Under Forum Skin click the dropdown arrow and select Vintage-Mustang.com (Classic).

Go to the bottom and click Save Changes.

Close your browser and restart VMF.com. You should see an improvement.

I did.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
At the beginning of August, or thereabouts, VMF was loading and running really slow for me. I didn't change anything on my end before, or since then. Don't know what the issue was, but not having those problems now. I'm using Chrome and AdBlock +

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Do you happen to use an iPad or some other device that you can run Tapatalk HD on? I use the app on my iPad and have a pretty good experience with it. See the attached pic. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I am using "Classic" view Chrome with 125Mbps download speed (varified on Speedtest.com) so loading signature pics is not my problem. It's all the BS video ads.

I guess I need to take a look at AdBlock+

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Not true there are other plug-ins that work well or better than AD Block I'm using Disconnect with Google Chrome site works like any other forum.
I also have Malwarbytes Premium & Mcafee site advisor installed. There is another thread on this started about 3 weeks ago.

Bob

·
Administrator
1,138 Posts
@arizonajack - thank you for your suggestion. I was going to mentioned about switching the skin/layout to Classic as there are a lot fewer ads there.

For anyone interested in trying this out, there are a couple ways to do this:

Within your User CP > Scroll all the way down to Miscellaneous Options > Under Forum Skin click the dropdown arrow and select Vintage-Mustang.com (Classic) > Go to the bottom and click Save Changes > Close your browser and restart VMF.com.

The other way is down to the bottom left corner of every page, there's a short drop down menu called Quick Style Chooser where you can change the site's skin/layout. Members who experience site slowness reported that switching over to Classic showed significant increase in speed

Give that a try and let us know how that goes.

---------------------------------
@LeeFred - on what device are you using Chrome on? Is it video ads that are bogging down the site for you? Do you notice any scripts/ads the browser is hanging on at the bottom left corner of your browser screen?

Like so:

ssrfanscriptloading.jpg

If they're zipping by quickly, then that's a good sign. That showing the ads/scripts are loading on that page. It's only if you see it stays loading on one (or a few) particular scripts/ads. If that's the case, take a screenshot and let us know what page you encountered that on (please provide the link to it - thank you).

----------------------------

Another option is to try the site on Tapatalk. Thank you for that suggestion, @SacBill.

@IndyFive - If you are experiencing video ads that automatically play while you are logged in, please provide the following details so we can get alert our techs to get rid of these at once:

1. Device/OS/browser you're using
2. Geo-location (city/state - we ask for this because often times these are region based)
3. Redirect URL - if you are getting redirect, please copy/paste the URL
4. Screenshot(s)
5. Ad call - this is the best piece of evidence to help locate the source: right click on the ad itself and select either "inspect element" or "view frame source" (whichever you see). A new tab should open and display a bunch of code - copy and paste this code and report it to us.

Thanks!

@Bob & Sue - Hey Bob, can you see if any of the aforementioned suggestions apply and works for you?

We apologize for any inconvenience these ads and site slowness have caused you. Thank you for your patience and cooperation on this matter.

Cheers,
Natalie

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Is it the ads that botch it up?
Yep, something to do with memory address not replying from your laptop, desktop etc (maybe).
I'm going to do some more testing for the admin later today or tomorrow.

Getting Disconnect from the google store will fix your problems if your'e using chrome.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
@LeeFred - on what device are you using Chrome on? Is it video ads that are bogging down the site for you? Do you notice any scripts/ads the browser is hanging on at the bottom left corner of your browser screen?

Like so:

View attachment 572298

If they're zipping by quickly, then that's a good sign. That showing the ads/scripts are loading on that page. It's only if you see it stays loading on one (or a few) particular scripts/ads. If that's the case, take a screenshot and let us know what page you encountered that on (please provide the link to it - thank you).
I'm using Chrome on a desktop computer running Windows 7. I haven't had any slow issues for a couple of weeks now. It was at the end of July/beginning of August that there were issues. Could have been an update to Windows...who knows. Since then everything has been running fine.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
The reply given ArizonaJack was helpful. I works like a dream now.
Using classic view was posted earlier in this thread on post #15 for folks using google chrome & I.E.

These kind of threads need to be read from the beginning to help troubleshoot problems, there are too many variables for everyone to keep repeating problems without solutions.

Bob

·
Registered
150 Posts
Using classic view was posted earlier in this thread on post #15 for folks using google chrome & I.E.These kind of threads need to be read from the beginning to help troubleshoot problems, there are too many variables for everyone to keep repeating problems without solutions.
Bob
Seriously? What would you have me do, read 50+ posts just to determine that my tweaks haven't been duplicated? No thank you! Spend my time in contemplation of other posts in the distant past that indicate some or no success? No thank you! Conceal possible solutions from those who also did not deign to read 50+ posts before getting to a summary of possible solutions? No thank you! No, I thank you and again, I thank you!

(Apologies to Edmond Rostand.)

41 - 60 of 81 Posts