Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone here know how to propagate blueberries? I have about 18 bushes, in 3 different varieties and I would like to try to propagate them, to expand for the next expansion. I would rather try to make more from what I already have rather than to have to buy them. they are extremely expensive to buy and I would rather learn to do it myself and possibly make a few dollars off of the berries. I have roughly 10 acres I could dedicate to blueberries since I mowed out all the red raspberries and blackberries I was growing. The raspberries got a disease of some sort an dI could never keep them under control. I have tried to get roots from cuttings I have taken from blueberry bushs, but have never been successful at it. I have also tried from seeds, but that never panned out either. I am sure there is a trick to it, possibly root growth, but I don't think I would be able to do partial transplants without hurting the bushes.

any experts out there?

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I am more familiar with rabbiteye blueberries grown in the South - I suspect you have the highbush type grown
up North.
I do not know that you can propogate the bushes, I only know that they do not produce for about three years
after they have been planted. The secret to good berry production, IMO is proper pruning and a good acidic soil.
Many states require that you purchase State-certified plants to prevent disease, hence the high cost (especially if you plan on selling berries).
You will probably have to check with someone who has done this for a while to learn the tricks.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I believe you treat the side of outer branches with some kind of plant hormone. then tie a bag of dirt to the area you stimulated.
then wait a year or so(remember to water the bag). Contact your state Ag. extension service. They will know.
jimbo

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I'm always impressed by the diversity of knowledge of this group.

Regretfully, I know nothing about Blueberries.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
There are many ways to propagate. from cuttings and from cutting a new branch with out cutting it completely.
#1. cuttings: look for new branchs that have a couple of growths on it(stuff that is growing insted of an established branch) cut at an angle with a very sharp clean blade. put it in water as soon as it is cut to make sure that there isn't an air bubbles in the stem. get some root hormone and some peet cubes. get the cubes ready by soaking them in water for about 10 minutes untill they expand. dip the cutting into the hormone and instert it into the hole in the peet cube and then clip some of the large leafs and leave only a couple small leaves. leave the cuttings in a warm shady place inside the house like a window sill and keep it watered. you can feed it a very diluted amount of decent fertilizer that has more phosperuse and very little nitrogen a fertiler like 1-5-5 is good.
#2 find a good growth and cut the sides of the stem so that the interlayer is showing with a realy sharp razorblade. use some peet and a cheese cloth. put some peet inside of the cheese cloth and wrap it around the cut and tie it to the stem with the some bread ties or even zip ties. keep it watered and when you see roots you can cut below the orignal cut and plant.
my instructions are very good but they are pretty basic and very easy to do. it just takes practice. the first method is the fastest and the easier way to make a large amount of new plants.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts