Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on installing one of the Professional Products fuel Injection systems on my project car. I have read in the past on other forums that the pump that comes with the PP system is junk. I can see why. It looks like an in-tank pump with a large heat sink on it that you mount to the frame rail. It over heats and dies.
I'm foregoing the full kit and I'm going to buy one of the in-tank fuel pump kits I've seen here on the VMF and use a return line to keep the pump cooler. (PP offers a pressure switch control box that cuts the pump on and off while constantly driving to maintain pressure, but that seems like a lot of strain on a pump. Pumps are designed to be turned on a left on. Not cycled constantly while driving. Correct?)
Will also need an inline FI pressure regulator. Holley? About $200 at Summit.
Anyone got any ideas on my train of thought? It's close to a $2K investment, that I don't want to regret!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm also looking at the same setup. Was planning on going with "a pump other than theirs" attached to the frame rail but using a return line from the pressure regulator which I'll mount on the inner fender or firewall. I too haven't been able to gather too much information on the system. Once I get my cam in I was going to call Jesse at Bigs Carbs to see what he thought.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Scott, just a word of advice. All of the guys on the SN95 forums say how terrible any of the PP items perform compared to other name brands, so If i were you I would keep looking. They are a low budget company.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
388 Posts
why not the edelbrock pro flow type system? or an older holley pro-jection?

Lots of EFI systems switch the pump on and off, aeromotive makes a boost referenced controller that you can tune your fuel curve w/ pump pressure when you have no other way of adjusting it(think dodge truck w/o any aftermarket support for tuning) or even factory efi changes pump voltage to make pressure changes.

as for the regulator
Find out what the line pressure needs to be and get creative, like the late model corvette fuel filter that has a 60 psi regulator and return line built into it, etc.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Scott, just a word of advice. All of the guys on the SN95 forums say how terrible any of the PP items perform compared to other name brands, so If i were you I would keep looking. They are a low budget company.

Just my $.02
I've heard about bad distributors, but on the FI systems I keep hearing good things from doing a Google search. Chevelle forums, Camaro forums, Dodge forums, etc... I'm over a year away from having to make the purchase, and if I have to, I'll go carb until I know I'm not getting junk.
I'm just trying to do the infrastructure (pump in tank, return line) while the car is being built.
FWIW, I have also looked at the FAST EFI system too. It was my second choice.

why not the edelbrock pro flow type system?
At $3400? :shocked: Can't justify that price point.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Over at Fordmuscleforums.com there's a thread of a guy who bought the new Powerjection III kit, but hasn't gotten around to installing it yet. He says, out of the box, it looks like a well designed and built kit. I keep checking back, but haven't seen an update to it in a while.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I've heard about bad distributors, but on the FI systems I keep hearing good things from doing a Google search. Chevelle forums, Camaro forums, Dodge forums, etc... I'm over a year away from having to make the purchase, and if I have to, I'll go carb until I know I'm not getting junk.
I'm just trying to do the infrastructure (pump in tank, return line) while the car is being built.
FWIW, I have also looked at the FAST EFI system too. It was my second choice.

At $3400? :shocked: Can't justify that price point.
Remember, it was just my opinion. for late model FI stuff like their throttle bodies, they leave allot to be desired. I don't think they are american made.
FAST seems to be a good system, but it costs allot.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I've heard good things about the Powerjection III unit too. In the photos I've seen it comes with a "dual feed" fuel line and the regulator mounted right on it, so I think it already comes like that. You just need to hook up the wires from it and supply your own fuel system.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I installed one on a Camaro, its runs well, but your pump plan and in tank pump is very smart.

The car ran good but not great, you need to email Retrotek and get their newest upgrade on the computer program. The Camaro is a rocketship and drives like a dream now compared to before.

I run a Massflo on my car, which I modified the tune extensively. Nice setup, but IMO needs work to be as good as advertised on anything but a very ild motor.

I use a Quarterhorse laptop tuner, tweaked it for my motor and it is very very nice now, but I have a lot more money in it than the Camaro does and it runs great too.

I do agree though, Chris is great to work with. I have known him since we were young (which we aren't anymore)

·
Registered
827 Posts
IMHO, why would you ruin a good project with Chinese junk? There are plenty of well thought out and great running American versions of EFI out there. Sure they cost a bit more initially but you only have to spend the money once. I have seen the PP products line up at SEMA many years and their stuff looks cheap. Is that what you want? Is it worth the cost difference to you? Don't get me wrong, I am not bad mouthing their stuff, I have no expierience with it. I would just rather spend a little more and get a known better product.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Another option is one of the new Holley EFI kits. The "Avanger" TBI is priced about the same as the Fast EZ and Projection kits.

I've been toying with the idea of this kit, but there is not much info yet because it is so new. I read that the fuel map has 4x the resolution of the FAST version and it should (will?) control a TFI distributor. I also like the idea of being able to run multiple O2 sensors. Now if I could just talk to someone that has actually installed one....

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
IMHO, why would you ruin a good project with Chinese junk? There are plenty of well thought out and great running American versions of EFI out there. Sure they cost a bit more initially but you only have to spend the money once. I have seen the PP products line up at SEMA many years and their stuff looks cheap. Is that what you want? Is it worth the cost difference to you? Don't get me wrong, I am not bad mouthing their stuff, I have no expierience with it. I would just rather spend a little more and get a known better product.
Exactly why I posted this. I keep hesitating because there just seems to be "somtingwong" about this system. :roflao: It does look "cheap" in a way. I guess too much polish on the chrome system? Like I mentioned, I'm more than a year away and looking into this way in advance. I'm borderline going carb, but I keep remembering my youth and having all the carb issues with stuck floats, blown power valves, running rich at idle, etc...And I think of how easy life has been ever since I started driving FI cars.

Another option is one of the new Holley EFI kits. The "Avanger" TBI is priced about the same as the Fast EZ and Projection kits.

I've been toying with the idea of this kit, but there is not much info yet because it is so new. I read that the fuel map has 4x the resolution of the FAST version and it should (will?) control a TFI distributor. I also like the idea of being able to run multiple O2 sensors. Now if I could just talk to someone that has actually installed one.... Another option is one of the new Holley EFI kits. The "Avanger" TBI is priced about the same as the Fast EZ and Projection kits.
Now this is the best news I have heard yet! I was really dissapointed that the lower cost options (under $2K) cannot control timing. I'm going to start looking into these systems.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm a fan of this setup.

Mass-Flo EFI, The World's Only True Plug and Play EFI System.

It uses the Ford EEC-IV computer. Great customer service.
Two reasons I don't like this system.
1) I'm trying to avoid a fuel rail system with individual injectors. I'm sure it works better than throttle body injectors, but my goal is to try and keep it looking like a carb (vintage apperance), and fuel rails and injectors kill the look I'm going after.

2) I saw this system advertised on Power Block TV last year. It is a blend of Ford and GM parts and proprietary "black box" that keeps the parts communicating. I e-mailed the company to ask a "what if" question. Basically, what if your company goes belly up and my proprietary "black box" dies? Am I stuck with a $3K coffee table decoration?
$3K is a LOT to lay out to a one man operation for parts that may not be here next year, if god forbid something were to happen to the company owner. Now if it were a product by Holley, Edelbrock or another big name, the company would live on.
Just covering my "assets"

BTW, I NEVER got a reply back from the company.

·
7,005 Posts
1) I'm trying to avoid a fuel rail system with individual injectors. I'm sure it works better than throttle body injectors, but my goal is to try and keep it looking like a carb (vintage apperance), and fuel rails and injectors kill the look I'm going after.

2) I saw this system advertised on Power Block TV last year. It is a blend of Ford and GM parts and proprietary "black box" that keeps the parts communicating. I e-mailed the company to ask a "what if" question. Basically, what if your company goes belly up and my proprietary "black box" dies? Am I stuck with a $3K coffee table decoration?
$3K is a LOT to lay out to a one man operation for parts that may not be here next year, if god forbid something were to happen to the company owner. Now if it were a product by Holley, Edelbrock or another big name, the company would live on.

Uhh...don't quote this as the gospel...but I think the proprietary black box is a Ford A9L EEC computer. In fact...I'm of the opinion that the Mass-Flo system is mostly Ford efi stuff.

I went with a modified 5.0 stuff for my EFI, and then wished I had gone with Mass-Flo. The fuel rails look cool to me. The "look" I don't like on my car is the Fox style intake (I ported a Cobra intake and used that). I love the way the mass-flo looks. It's pricey as hell when compared to a used 5.0 setup. The problem I had was once I went 347...most of the stock ford stuff had to go away (injectors, MAF, Throttle Body, Intake, etc.)

TO ME...those throttle body injection systems are one step up from a carburetor, but well behind a true EFI system. I bought and read this book cover to cover and it pretty much sold me.

Well worth the price!

Phil

·
Registered
2,521 Posts

The black box, I believe you are talking about is the Mass Air sensor hidden under the air cleaner - I believe Chris, the owner does source this part out. All the other parts are easily found or replaced if issues arise.

But yes, if you are looking for the stock look without fuel rails this is not the system for you.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got in touch with Holley on the Avenger system. They are still working the bugs out on the Ford set up to control timing using a Ford distributor. At this point, the Ford distributor harness is not available yet. This looks like a promising system for me. It's under $2K, brand name and no fuel rails. I did get measurements on the throttle body though. It's only 1.5" high, but above the seat for an air breather is 3.5". Too tall for my Cobra oval air cleaner assy. I'm thinking of a spacer to raise it, and a taller filter.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

Just my $.02
and my $.02

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
and my $.02
Thanks guys! Looks like the Holley Avenger is now at the top of my list. Especially since I can control my timing with their system.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts