Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Would like advice on how to go about doing this on my 68 FB. The tranny tunnel is okay but the firewall and rear seat area is bad enough to warrant a full piece sheet metal. Will also replace firewall,frame rails, floor support and pretty much the bottom end of the body(think the rockers are ok).

Should I basically completely strip the whole car down, weld braces inside the cabin to maintain dimensions or go in steps? That I need advice on how to setup the braces(criss cross pattern? and what points). Perhaps keep the drivetrain on and weld the floorpan in first? How to even get a full floorpan into position to weld it!?

At the moment the car is pretty much intact with the seats and carpetting removed only.

Thanks for tips and experience!

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
I didn't replace the firewall, but I did replace both sides of the floorpan. I did one side at a time and everything turned out fine. The pan wasn't an exact fit, so be prepared to do some tweaking at the corners. Good luck!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ibsidianspider, so you are saying that you did use the full floorpan with the tunnel? How did you set up your cabin bracing to maintain dimensions? Was the drivetrain out as well?

·
Registered
335 Posts
If you have a hard top the roof structure and rocker/ torque boxes should support it. I have talked to and seen a few people do the full pan replacement.

One guy said for 71 cars if you remove the entire dash assembly the one piece will slide in through the windshield hole between the A-pillars.

The other guy had a 67 Shelby on a rotissery and put it in from the bottom. He had to fold the area that mates with the rear inner fender up to clear the rear frame rail, then folded it back down and screwed everything in place for welding.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts